Thread: A good pistol

A good pistol

Hi
    I'm thinking of buying a pistol but know little about them. Can anyone suggest a good all rounder.
    Cheers

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Hi & Welcome

How about a few more details, so you get the best advice - such as:

Budget?
    Any preference on power source - spring/CO2/PCP/single stroke?
    Multi-shot required?
    Fussy about wanting a real steel look-alike?
    Whats most important to you - accuracy, power, ease of cocking, weight, anything like that?
    Just for general plinking in the garden or ultimately looking to maybe progress to club shooting maybe?

Any extra info. will help make people make the best recommendation for you....

Quote Originally Posted by harvey_s View Post
    Hi & Welcome

How about a few more details, so you get the best advice - such as:

Budget?
    Any preference on power source - spring/CO2/PCP/single stroke?
    Multi-shot required?
    Fussy about wanting a real steel look-alike?
    Whats most important to you - accuracy, power, ease of cocking, weight, anything like that?
    Just for general plinking in the garden or ultimately looking to maybe progress to club shooting maybe?

Any extra info. will help make people make the best recommendation for you....
    Hi Harvey
    I would like a pcp and not bothered about multishot.
    The most important thing is accuracy. The gun will be used for garden plinking and
    on a 10m range at my club. I may have a go at competition but only to have a go.
    I am looking at a second hand Brocock Grand Prix tomorrow.

Regards Martin.

For range shooting i wouldn't advise the brocock (i own a atomic)
    Too heavy and not very nice/adjustable sights.
    If you like pcps i would suggest the rohm twinmaster or similar in the range (the robm is the cheapest).
    If you are serious about range shooting then you will likely consider some competitions and the brococks are not really suitable for that...
    Cheers

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Hi Martin

Good luck with the potential purchase...if you decide it's not what you wanted, come back on thread and tell us what you didn't like and maybe we can suggest some alternatives for you

Rohm pistols are much better than the brococks for target shooting due to the better designed grips.

I have a Webley Alecto .22 and it is extremely accurate, I would say that the .177 is even more so, as I'm thinking of buying a .177 barrel and fitting it as the pellets are cheaper. No need for Co2 or an air bottle or external pump, for shooting out to 10 yds; one pump is all you need and I punched holes through ally cans on Saturday up to 18 yds with one pump! I also have a Walther CP99 and that is a very accurate gun and extremely good fun, but being an 8 shot, it's easy to go through a great amount of pellets!
    It's not the destination; but the journey that counts!
    You can take the lad out of Essex; but not Essex out of the lad!

You need to give an idea on budget to help people to give recommendations? If it is required for competitive 10 metre shooting then you could be starting at Gamo Compacts and leading up to Steyrs, which would give a spread of £150 to £900 using s/h values. Personally I would suggest SSPs or PCPs as your best option over that distance, although I have never tried the CO2 Rohms so cannot comment on their use.
    Regards, Phil