Thread: Lincoln Jeffries Stock damage

Lincoln Jeffries Stock damage

Hi. I am looking for a bit of advice as to how to repair the stock of my Lincoln Jeffries Improved Model B. Over the years I think the stock must have worked loose and "somebody" has hammered some staples and nails into the stock to try and tighten it!!! I have now removed the nails etc. but it has left me with some pieces of wood missing (2 where the stock meets the Trigger Block and a hole in the side as well for good measure. I am hoping that somebody could recommend to me a suitable "filler" to repair the damage. Thanks. Peter

Quote Originally Posted by bengalcat View Post
    Hi. I am looking for a bit of advice as to how to repair the stock of my Lincoln Jeffries Improved Model B. Over the years I think the stock must have worked loose and "somebody" has hammered some staples and nails into the stock to try and tighten it!!! I have now removed the nails etc. but it has left me with some pieces of wood missing (2 where the stock meets the Trigger Block and a hole in the side as well for good measure. I am hoping that somebody could recommend to me a suitable "filler" to repair the damage. Thanks. Peter

Hello Peter

If you have any old bits of walnut wood, you can sand it down, catch the dust and mix it with PVA glue (the white woodworking glue)..

Mix it to a stiff paste then press it in to the holes and let it set, it can be rubbed down too..

If the holes are big, you may be better drilling a hole and making walnut dowels to glue and tap in..

Cheers, John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

edbear2 Guest
    Hi Peter, there are also always good old cheap Walnut shotgun stocks on the bay, which often sell for very little...if the damage is severe a good source of old contemporary wood to use if you need to inlet. A couple of photos of the damage would be helpful to people on here, you cannot post them directly, but need to use flikr or photobucket and add a link.

If you do not have an account with any photohosting website, you can email them to me (click on my user name for contact details) and I will happily host them for you...nice clear photos, max 6 megabytes will be fine if you decide to do this.

ATB, Ed

edbear2 Guest
    Photos of Peter's stock attached;

http://www.flickr.com/photos/3122848...ream/lightbox/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/3122848...ream/lightbox/

Looks like the mice have been at it

Come you wood experts...ideas please!

ATB, Ed

Thumbs up

Ed

It looks as though a square shouldered section could be cut out then a new piece of walnut let in and then shaped to the contours- problem would be getting a match but I think the whole stock would need stripping first so that a match could be made..

I have some walnut, I could post a few pieces to him to see if they would match up..

EDIT- Peter, your Original 35B looks stunningly beautiful

John

Quote Originally Posted by johnbaz View Post
    Ed

It looks as though a square shouldered section could be cut out then a new piece of walnut let in and then shaped to the contours- problem would be getting a match but I think the whole stock would need stripping first so that a match could be made..

I have some walnut, I could post a few pieces to him to see if they would match up..

John
    i think you are right john,some material could be removed then a fillet shaped to fit.with a bit of trial and error and patience i recon a decent job could be made.he would need to match the grain as best possible.ps. i too was distracted by the original 35 atb.

Hello Peter

If you have any old bits of walnut wood, you can sand it down, catch the dust and mix it with PVA glue (the white woodworking glue)..

Mix it to a stiff paste then press it in to the holes and let it set, it can be rubbed down too..

If the holes are big, you may be better drilling a hole and making walnut dowels to glue and tap in..

Cheers, John
    I would go with the above as its the easiest option, and if that don't look ok, then go for the other members advice.

Quote Originally Posted by isobar View Post
    i think you are right john,some material could be removed then a fillet shaped to fit.with a bit of trial and error and patience i recon a decent job could be made.he would need to match the grain as best possible.ps. i too was distracted by the original 35 atb.
    Crumbs!!

I thought the 35B looked familiar- it's one of Ed's and not the OP's

Lovely piece that Ed

John

Ed

John
    That's the way I'd go. Are there any friendly antique dealers/restorers near you? You might be surprised how little a restorer would charge to put that right.

Smile

Thanks everyone for your advice, it is greatly appreciated!! I think that I will go down the road of letting in fresh pieces of walnut to the damaged areas. I will post how I get on. (with pictures as i have a Flickr account now!!)
    All the best
    Peter