Thread: Walther LP2 repair HELP

Walther LP2 repair HELP

Hi,
    After many years of inactivity, I've finally decided to devote some tender loving care to my Walther LP2. The pistol is currently in repair for a piston seal mod.
    At the moment having difficulty in sourcing the following seals:-

1. 'O'- ring seal within the valve mechanism (underneath the 3-holed cap on top of the action).
    2. Breech 'O'- ring seal.

Could anyone please advise where I may be able to obtain suitable seals.

I am advised that Laurie Armatruda is a mine of information relating to these pistols, so would be greatly obliged if he could assist me in this query - or indeed anyone else with related knowledge.

Many thanks.
    GunDad

WaffenCentreGotha, you may need to use Google translate depending on how good your german is.

Bill Welch, in Sussex, may also be able to help. I'll pm you his contact details. HTH

Quote Originally Posted by GunDad View Post
    Hi,
    After many years of inactivity, I've finally decided to devote some tender loving care to my Walther LP2. The pistol is currently in repair for a piston seal mod.
    At the moment having difficulty in sourcing the following seals:-

1. 'O'- ring seal within the valve mechanism (underneath the 3-holed cap on top of the action).
    2. Breech 'O'- ring seal.

Could anyone please advise where I may be able to obtain suitable seals.

I am advised that Laurie Armatruda is a mine of information relating to these pistols, so would be greatly obliged if he could assist me in this query - or indeed anyone else with related knowledge.

Many thanks.
    GunDad
    Are you able to measure the 'O' ring grooves? You only need the outside diameter (i.e. where the inside diameter of the 'O' ring fits) and the depth of the groove. With those two dimensions, you can determine the size of 'O' rings you need and source them from e.g. E.A.P., who have dealerships all over the U.K. See their catalogue here (the blue one) which tells you all you need to know about 'O' rings.

I have bought from them retail over the counter on several occasions, so no problems there. However, once you have measured and determined the B.S. Number (from the above mentioned catalogue) you can buy them in loads of places. I suggest you get viton or nitrile. They are the most common materials available and are immune to most lubes.
    Happy Shooting!! Paul.
    "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking that we used when we created them" - Albert Einstein.

Walther LP2 repair HELP

You have PM.

Regards, Lawrie.

The valve cover is 8x2 NBR the Valve seal & Breech seals are 7x2 NBR. The piston & seal are integral & no longer available, but all is not lost as an "O" ring conversion is easy. You will need access to a lathe!

The Piston is 37.6mm long with an O/D of 25mm all you need to do is remove the original seal & make the groove to fit a 20 x 2.5 "O" ring with the correct crush value.

Lubricate the groove with Molykote 33 Light. After fitting the "O" ring wipe any excess Molykote from the top of the Piston & "O" ring, leave the excess around the bottom as this will be your running lubrication.

I have done many LP2's & LP3's like this & so far none have failed. Vo readings should be similar to Original spec Vo readings.

I can let you have the seals & enough molykote to do the job F.O.C.

Good Luck & Happy Shooting.
    IF IT'S NOT BROKE.........DON'T FIX IT!

Excellent.
    Two options in twelve hours.

Thumbs up

Many thanks to all for your suggestions and offers. I'll follow them up.
    Great shame I didn't find this site years ago.
    One very satisfied forum member.
    Cheers,
    GunDad

Blimey! I knew collectables was a good source of information but this thread is just unbelievable. Less than 24 hours has gone by since the first post...
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    Blimey! I knew collectables was a good source of information but this thread is just unbelievable. Less than 24 hours has gone by since the first post...
    Could'nt agree more i have learnt a lot from this section if you don't want to diy i can reccomend Laurie, he's very good he's done pistols for me, and some friends, as a matter of fact he's got one of mine now he's fixing for me, atb, ...mike...

It's REPAIRED!

Voila! Following a repair/piston rework etc, I now have a virtualy as-new LP2 pistol which now fires like a dream. Have not yet been able to check the performance using a chronometer, but I’m more than satisfied so far.
    Very special thanks go to Laurie Armatruda and Wonky Donky who provided invaluable assistance and advise. Thanks also for other helpful comments above.
    Will try to provide a photo or two of this superb pistol asap.
    Cheers,
    GunDad

Voila! Following a repair/piston rework etc, I now have a virtualy as-new LP2 pistol which now fires like a dream. Have not yet been able to check the performance using a chronometer, but I’m more than satisfied so far.
    Very special thanks go to Laurie Armatruda and Wonky Donky who provided invaluable assistance and advise. Thanks also for other helpful comments above.
    Will try to provide a photo or two of this superb pistol asap.
    Cheers,
    GunDad
    Glad it's working again, not difficult to keep these old pistols going is it

Did you decide to make a new piston or did you make a cap as per the images & dimensions I sent you. I assume you did the same as me & use twin "O" rings, did you space them further apart, which may have been a better idea or keep the same?

It's REPAIRED!

Quote Originally Posted by wonky donky View Post
    Glad it's working again, not difficult to keep these old pistols going is it
    Did you decide to make a new piston or did you make a cap as per the images & dimensions I sent you. I assume you did the same as me & use twin "O" rings, did you space them further apart, which may have been a better idea or keep the same?
    A new piston was made to accept twin 'O'-rings - unsure of the spacings. In fact knowing that the original molded piston seal had disintegrated, it was several months ago I'd tasked a local French gunsmith to perform the repair. All I had at the time was THIS photo link of a modded piston, which I gave him. He made one, fitted it, and was then held up for a valve mechanism and breech seal, assistance of which was provided by the forum.
    I've spent an hour at the range today and put in a few useful target scores, which amazed me for a combination of a 40 year-old pistol and a pair of 60+ year-old eyes.

Unfortunately it looks like I don't have posting permission to attach photos. Is this related to my limited number of postings?
    Last edited by GunDad; 22-04-2013 at 09:49 PM. Reason: Note re. attatchment permission query

Unfortunately it looks like I don't have posting permission to attach photos. Is this related to my limited number of postings?
    Normally posted images are approved first but with 12 posts you should be able to put a link to photobucket or similar I would have thought?