Thread: HW45 or Webley Alecto

HW45 or Webley Alecto

Looking 4 pistol to use on 10m range, around £200 to spend.
    Can not be pcp. Which one is better? Or maybe other models??
    Thanks 4 any advice.

They are both very different guns, I would prefer the HW45 as its more of a challenge but many like the Alecto.

I suppose you need to wrok out if you want a recoilling airgun.
    Great Deals with : Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick & Tich

i would say alecto bit more power and more accurate, hw45 better build,and nicer to hold.

eyebull is offline Even a stopped clock is right twice a day
    I have both, and as above they are chalk and cheese.

The HW45 is probably the best sporting springer available IMO.
    Built like the proverbial brick outhouse, it will be last a lifetime. Construction is excellent. operation is solid and the trigger is superb for a sporting springer. Some don't get on with the recoil cycle and find it difficult to shoot, I have not found it difficult to get decent results however. Try before you buy. They make a good purchase second hand, even better if you can get the older style iron sights. Every air pistol enthusiast should have one.

The Alecto is the best multi-pump pistol available IMO.
    It may have a plastic chassis but it is decent material and well constructed. It is quite versatile, having variable power (and it is quite powerful on 3 pumps), decent iron sights and lots of options for scopes, lasers etc. Adjustable palm shelf and multi-adjustable trigger too.
    It is very consistent and an absolute tack driver if you do your bit. Very accessible accuracy. Again, try before you buy if you can. Longevity wise, who knows how long they will last as they haven't been around as long as the HW45.

Feel free to ask if you want a specific comparison between the two.
    HTH.
    Good deals with these members

Quote Originally Posted by eyebull View Post
    I have both, and as above they are chalk and cheese.

The HW45 is probably the best sporting springer available IMO.
    Built like the proverbial brick outhouse, it will be last a lifetime. Construction is excellent. operation is solid and the trigger is superb for a sporting springer. Some don't get on with the recoil cycle and find it difficult to shoot, I have not found it difficult to get decent results however. Try before you buy. They make a good purchase second hand, even better if you can get the older style iron sights. Every air pistol enthusiast should have one.

The Alecto is the best multi-pump pistol available IMO.
    It may have a plastic chassis but it is decent material and well constructed. It is quite versatile, having variable power (and it is quite powerful on 3 pumps), decent iron sights and lots of options for scopes, lasers etc. Adjustable palm shelf and multi-adjustable trigger too.
    It is very consistent and an absolute tack driver if you do your bit. Very accessible accuracy. Again, try before you buy if you can. Longevity wise, who knows how long they will last as they haven't been around as long as the HW45.

Feel free to ask if you want a specific comparison between the two.
    HTH.
    Neither, recent field target Silhouette style shoots with pistols have indicated that the HW45 is consistently out shot by the old Gamo Center Air pistol and Original 5 also the Feinwerkbau Sport when set to recoil mode with its sliding sledge fixed and an Original 6M in free style shoots. In free style comps, most single stroke guns beat them, incl. the multi pump Alecto you mention.
    However, during my own period of this type of shooting i have come across 3 Alectos with cracked valve casings...also some guys who found the multi pumping a drag in comparson with the single stroke HW40 etc when talking in purely accuracy and simple handling terms.
    Usually most open events are won by Bowkett PCP pistol stuff but i have seen a Crosman 112, 150 and the newer 2240 all do well for the gas stuff.

The HW45 seemed like a great idea on paper but suffers from 2 distinct problems.
    First the sprig power and compression ratio just about reach the perfect ratio for detonation to occur, and neither TR Robb or the Venom boys were able to stop it occuring. Meaning it diesels if not run virtually dry and no tuning house is going to stop it....Also the rear moving piston, which suggested easier control of recoil into the palm of the hand, turned out to produce a more complex recoil than forward moving pistons. I.E the secondary recoil is actually moving forwards in these guns.
    Last edited by clarky; 11-06-2013 at 04:49 PM.

eyebull is offline Even a stopped clock is right twice a day
    Quote Originally Posted by clarky View Post
    Neither, recent field target Silhouette style shoots with pistols have indicated that the HW45 is consistently out shot by the old Gamo Center Air pistol and Original 5 also the Feinwerkbau Sport when set to recoil mode with its sliding sledge fixed and an Original 6M in free style shoots. In free style comps, most single stroke guns beat them, incl. the multi pump Alecto you mention.
    However, during my own period of this type of shooting i have come across 3 Alectos with cracked valve casings...also some guys who found the multi pumpig a drag in comparson with the single stroke HW40 etc when talking in purely accuracy and simple handling terms.
    Usually most open events are won by Bowkett PCP pistol stuff but i have seen a Crosman 112, 150 and the newer 2240 all do well for the gas stuff.
    Some of those I wouldn't consider 'Sporters' but 'Target' pistols - maybe we disagree on the semantics? Also I note a distinct paucity of Gamo Centers, Original 5/6's and FWB 65s in my local gunshops... I own a FWB65 and an LP53 and they are awesome, but they don't make them anymore...
    I've heard this a lot and it always makes me laugh - why bother to always pump it 3 times if it annoys you? It functions perfectly well on one pump if you wish, and is still more powerful than a HW75 and easier to cock than a HW40 at that level...
    Not heard of cracked valve casings before though - overpumped, methinks...?
    Good deals with these members

Quote Originally Posted by eyebull View Post
    Some of those I wouldn't consider 'Sporters' but 'Target' pistols - maybe we disagree on the semantics? Also I note a distinct paucity of Gamo Centers, Original 5/6's and FWB 65s in my local gunshops... I own a FWB65 and an LP53 and they are awesome, but they don't make them anymore...
    I've heard this a lot and it always makes me laugh - why bother to always pump it 3 times if it annoys you? It functions perfectly well on one pump if you wish, and is still more powerful than a HW75 and easier to cock than a HW40 at that level...
    Not heard of cracked valve casings before though - overpumped, methinks...?
    The Gamo Center was not a target pistol anymore than the Original/RWS model 5 was. Even the target version of the Center could not really be considered a true target pistol because of its average trigger and recoiling nature but you could get a bit more out the grip if i remember rightly. You could argue that the 65, even in recoiling mode, is 90 percent target i suppose, so i will concede that one.
    Yes you could pump an Alecto one time but i didnt think it produced the 400fps with just one pump. Maybe some do. The one we had managed 360fps for one pump and much more bulky than the 40. Personal choice i suppose..

If you are considering an ssp I would recommend an hw75, same build quality as the hw45.

Atb
    Sean Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Luk81pl View Post
    Looking 4 pistol to use on 10m range, around £200 to spend.
    Can not be pcp. Which one is better? Or maybe other models??
    Thanks 4 any advice.
    The Gamo Compact is a popular 'budget' 10M pistol, which has many features of a quality match pistol, but is definatly more cheaply made I like them. A bit low on power for making clean holes, and plasticy, but good for what they are...

2nd hand FAS AP-604 is much nicer.

2nd hand FWB 65 (or even an 80 if you're lucky) if you like springs.

2nd hand Airmatch 600 (hard to find, but has my all-time favorite trigger of all time! ).

Or a 2nd hand IZH-46 might be just about in your budget

Try some out, if you can

HTH