Thread: Walther LGV "Olympia"

Walther LGV "Olympia"

What makes an elderly Walther LGV an "Olympia"?
    I have read with interest the US Pyramid blog and their pictures (described as "Olympia") are identical to my rifle. Serial No. 244223.
    But until reading that article, I only knew it as an "LGV" period.
    So is the "Olympia" tag, something added in America, or is there a specific definition.

Should any collectors have literature? Manuals or promo papers. I would be very pleased to purchase copies/photocopies of same.

Look forward to further conversation.
    The currency for Wisdom is Respect. So please do not enter a transaction if you do not have the means to pay

Leadhead,

The "Olympia" moniker applies to the early version of LGV with a rounded-contour stock and curved trigger as the main distinguishing features.
    Later ones were designated "LGV Spezial" with a slab-sided stock as standard fitment, a straight vertical trigger blade, and apparently the double mainspring setup (however I seem to recall seeing double springs in an "Olympia"). The optional Tyrolean stock shape has shown up on both versions, but it's rare on the later guns.

Don R.

Olympia is the correct Walther name for the "standard" semi-target style stock, available in beech and walnut, and with or without adjustable butt plate in either straight or curved style.

Other stock variants are the Tyrolean, in walnut with adjust butt plate and the UIT-special stock (square more obviously target oriented style).

The Spezial model is defined by the double spring set up, rather than the stock.

[Leadhead, here are some scans I made of my LGV manual. Click on each page to view larger copies, they can also be downloaded]. HTH
    Last edited by 18 Wheeler; 17-06-2013 at 10:15 AM.

And, didn't the Spezial variant have a match trigger unit? In any incarnation, quite some rifle - regret selling mine!
    May today be the best day of your life and all your tomorrows even better!!

Quote Originally Posted by TopDog View Post
    And, didn't the Spezial variant have a match trigger unit? In any incarnation, quite some rifle - regret selling mine!
    Most have the straight blade, which allows for some fore/aft movement and a small amount of left/right angular adjustment, but they can also be had with the "standard" fixed trigger blade. The actual trigger unit remains the same for both, it's just the trigger blade which differs.

Similarly I've seen standard LGV's with the adjustable trigger blade. In the abscence of original rifle documentation it is impossible to say definitively that an LGV was originally Spezial or not, as the double spring could easily be fitted to a rifle which left the factory with a single spring.

The one exception is probably the UIT model, all of which appear to be fitted with the double spring and straight blade, as perhaps befitted their position as a top spec match rifle? Although Walther are notorious for unannounced small variations and changes, so anything is possible.

Page 7 of the manual indicates that the Spezial model is distinguished by the "divided piston spring".

I really like both my LGV-s and LG55, beautifully made and finished rifles which make 6ft/lb with the minimum of effort or fuss.

LGV models

--------------------------------------
    Frank

I've substituted the lead fore-end weight in mine with one shaped from wood. The handling was further transformed by removing the barrel shroud. The aesthetics of the Walther LGV are superb. The Olympia stock looks great and feels just right. Less show than the Tyrol, more class. Further glamour is found with the double set trigger (DST) variant. Frank, i never tire of viewing you remarkable collection- thanks once again!

Walther LGV info

Gentlemen - Thank you for your input. Much appreciate your wisdom and experience. Particularly the manuals.

So "Olympia" it is!

My respects to you.
    Leadhead.

18wheeler Cant seem to download the flikr file.
    The currency for Wisdom is Respect. So please do not enter a transaction if you do not have the means to pay

Quote Originally Posted by leadhead View Post
    18wheeler Cant seem to download the flikr file.
    I've e-mailed the LGV Manual to the address in your profile, the scans are attachments to the e-mail. HTH
    Last edited by 18 Wheeler; 17-06-2013 at 05:55 AM.

DST model

Quote Originally Posted by Epicyclic View Post
    I've substituted the lead fore-end weight in mine with one shaped from wood. The handling was further transformed by removing the barrel shroud. The aesthetics of the Walther LGV are superb. The Olympia stock looks great and feels just right. Less show than the Tyrol, more class. Further glamour is found with the double set trigger (DST) variant. Frank, i never tire of viewing you remarkable collection- thanks once again!
    OOPS forgot about those.

----------------------------------------
    Frank

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.

Museum

If you are likely to be in the Ulm area it may be possible to get a tour of the Walther factory and the Museum, you will need to phone a few days ahead and if there is any one available you may be lucky. They have one of most models and the customer services manager is very knowlegable on the older models.
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?

Quote Originally Posted by RobinC View Post
    If you are likely to be in the Ulm area it may be possible to get a tour of the Walther factory and the Museum, you will need to phone a few days ahead and if there is any one available you may be lucky. They have one of most models and the customer services manager is very knowlegable on the older models.

Well Robin,

I don't have to go to Ulm for that ...

-------------------------------
    Frank

Quote Originally Posted by 18 Wheeler View Post
    Most have the straight blade, which allows for some fore/aft movement and a small amount of left/right angular adjustment, but they can also be had with the "standard" fixed trigger blade. The actual trigger unit remains the same for both, it's just the trigger blade which differs.

Similarly I've seen standard LGV's with the adjustable trigger blade. In the abscence of original rifle documentation it is impossible to say definitively that an LGV was originally Spezial or not, as the double spring could easily be fitted to a rifle which left the factory with a single spring.

The one exception is probably the UIT model, all of which appear to be fitted with the double spring and straight blade, as perhaps befitted their position as a top spec match rifle? Although Walther are notorious for unannounced small variations and changes, so anything is possible.

Page 7 of the manual indicates that the Spezial model is distinguished by the "divided piston spring".

I really like both my LGV-s and LG55, beautifully made and finished rifles which make 6ft/lb with the minimum of effort or fuss.

Thanks for that, very interesting. Thanks too to the other respondents for the pics etc!

atvb
    David
    May today be the best day of your life and all your tomorrows even better!!