Thread: Deactivated Brown Bess & Deactivated 1853 Enfield Musket Prices, Please.

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire

Deactivated Brown Bess & Deactivated 1853 Enfield Musket Prices, Please.

Evening Gents. Probably going to be scared whittles by the answer here, but how much should I expect to pay for a good condition deactivated Brown Bess, and/or a good condition deactivated 1853 Pattern Enfield Musket, please?

Cheers in advance and anticipation : Gareth.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

It is not necessary to deactivate either of these historic pieces - both are muzzle-loading antiques. As for a Brown Bess, it can cost a lot, to a very lot, depending on model and condition. Expect to pay around £700 up for a decent three-band Enfileld.

There ARE very good non-working replicas of the usual varaints of the Brown Bess for sale from a few sources in the back pages of Gun Mart. I suggest that you go looking there.

tac

Quote Originally Posted by tacfoley View Post

It is not necessary to deactivate either of these historic pieces - both are muzzle-loading antiques. As for a Brown Bess, it can cost a lot, to a very lot, depending on model and condition. Expect to pay around £700 up for a decent three-band Enfileld.

There ARE very good non-working replicas of the usual varaints of the Brown Bess for sale from a few sources in the back pages of Gun Mart. I suggest that you go looking there.

tac
    Superb info. Thank you very VERY much -- greatly appreciated . Atvb: G.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Keep an eye on the Gunstar site.They turn up on there now and again

Gareth.

Your options are;
    Original antiques, held as curiosity or ornament, no licence required.
    Original antiques that you want to shoot, SGC for the Bess and smoothbore Enfield, and FAC for the rifled Enfield.
    Modern reproductions SGC for the Bess and smoothbore Enfield, and FAC for the rifled Enfield.
    Modern reproductions that have been properly deactivated, no licence required.
    Inert replicas, no licence required.
    9mm blank firing replicas, no licence required.

The last item is something that Derbyshire Arms make for theatrical and re-enactment use. They also sell live reproductions and inert replicas, so it might be worthwhile speaking with them about their products. http://www.derbyshirearms.co.uk/
    I collect vintage Japanese air rifles & vintage Japanese pellets
    Information sought about antique firearms with Japanese markings, do you have one ?

Continued MANY THANKS ... For reasons of cost and ease of keeping etc, an inert reproduction Brown Bess or 1853 Enfield it will be, then (which due to forum rules I'm not allowed to place a WANTED advert for on the BBS, otherwise a member of the modding team may ban me, nudge nudge -- wink wink).

Last edited by Gareth W-B; 10-08-2013 at 08:35 AM. Reason: nudge nudge -- wink wink.

The lowest price for a genuine BB that I have seen recently was a very tatty-looking HEI model at around £2800.

We don't know what the OP wants it for.

tac

Quote Originally Posted by tacfoley View Post

We don't know what the OP wants it for.
    A school/museum display, so needs to be inert/non-firing, so will probably go with a modern(ish) replica, as that seems to be the cheapest (and safest) option.