Quote Originally Posted by Aimstraight View Post
As a newcomer to air guns, I find all your comments above very interesting. I have a couple of CO2 pistols and wanted a springer for a quick plink - rather than going through a full CO2 and large number of pellets/BB's. Very pleased with the 0.177 Turkish Tempest (short review in the reviews forum), and although it may not be as good as the English version - it was readily available and brand new. In short range practice (4m) in the garage was initially somewhat random, but after adjusting the sights (on a rest then hand held), I learned that a firm hold is essential (to resist recoil) just prior to squeezing the trigger (gently). This way I am now consistently placing the pellet within a cm of my aim, with a less firm grip the pellet path was much more random. Without exception the pellets go deep into the target; no bouncing out as with the CO2 pistols, this suggests I can land the pellets in a more distant target (unlike my CO2's or a less powerful spring pistol). There is something very satisfying about using these springer pistols; slow to load they may be but you make every shot count. I am keeping a look out for a Premier in good condition at a fair price (not paying extra for the box); I like the fact that they can easily be stripped for repairs...unlike the Tempest.

Hi,

Glad you are enjoying your 'Turkish' Tempest and the unique experience of attempting to master spring powered air pistols brings.

The normally accepted method of shooting 'springers' is NOT to use too tight a grip but rather to let the pistol recoil naturally. This works well for me and I hold the pistol with about the same grip used when say tapping home panel pins or a relatively firm handshake. As I say, this is the normally given advice but as with all these things if something else works for you then great.

In my opinion the biggest single element in consistently producing good groups with any spring air gun is 'Follow Through' which ironically is probably the easiest to implement.

I have always been a die hard 'all steel' Webley fan and still prefer the traditional earlier form of manufacture but cannot deny that the modern alloy framed 'Turkish' Tempest does handle and shoot well.

Mine continues to perform accurately at 10 metres and now sports a nice pair of replacement wood grips which are slightly wider than the standard plastic set and consequently provide me with a more comfortable hold.

As far as 'Premiers go I would definitely recommend you go for an early all steel Mk1 model rather than an alloy Mk2. I have several examples of both the 'Premier' and 'Senior' and would be slightly biased toward the 'Premier' due to its adjustable trigger facility.

Regards

Brian