Thread: Airsporter stocks

Airsporter stocks

Will my mk2 fit into a mk4/5 stock?
    It seems a pity that such a good gun was put into a flawed stock.
    atb Glyn

Quote Originally Posted by bluesman View Post
    Will my mk2 fit into a mk4/5 stock?
    It seems a pity that such a good gun was put into a flawed stock.
    atb Glyn
    I presume you mean the stock has broken because it is known to split at the rear of the trigger block but in many shooters opinion a far nicer stock if it has not broken. Sleeker, slimmer at the pistol grip, decent grade walnut. If you can get an unbroken spare Mk2 stock....far better than the lump of pale 3x2 added to the later Airsporters.

mk2 stock

i agree but try and obtain a complete mk2 stock!!
    The question still stands,do they fit?
    Always amazed at the accuracy of these rifles
    atb Glyn

atb Glyn

Nope, it won't fit as there's the bit that opens the tap automatically that has to have a slot routed in..

Other than that, i'm not sure!!

Agree with Clarky tho', mk1/2 stocks are much better looking than the square sided mk3-6 (the mk3 is extra ugly!! )

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

atb Glyn
    My own understanding - and I would be happy to be corrected - is that the Mk1, 2 (and 3?) stocks are the same, the Mk4 on are different.

MAG had a Mk1/2 (and 3?) stock for sale some time ago for £100.

Knibbs also sell them as and when they have them available - for £150.

The best way to obtain a stock is to buy a basket case rifle. I have seen people on here valuing tatty guns at around the £80 mark. Provided the stock is not cracked, this represents a real bargain in my humble opinion - you get the stock for your pride and joy and some other potentially useful/valuable spares.
    Last edited by Airsporter1st; 07-09-2013 at 10:10 PM.
    Happy Shooting!! Paul.
    "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking that we used when we created them" - Albert Einstein.

Never in a million years would I even for the merest fraction of a second even consider putting a Mk 1/2 in anything other than a Mk 1/2 stock
    the Mk 3 onward stocks are mingin / cant you get your original stock repaired

edbear2 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by mallyally View Post
    Never in a million years would I even for the merest fraction of a second even consider putting a Mk 1/2 in anything other than a Mk 1/2 stock
    the Mk 3 onward stocks are mingin / cant you get your original stock repaired ?
    Is this a technical term for not so aesthetically pleasing, and of an inferior wood / finish ?

Have to agree totally by the way, the later sporter stocks look like they were using up pallet runners at BSA...They did get back on track later with the RB's and MK3 / Challenger mercs, but in between period ones looked hideous...Mind you they are a good "shooting" stock, nice and deep etc., and that is their only saving grace IMHO (and it still ain't enough).

ATB, Ed

I recently bought an early MK2 Airsporter that mechanically is very good throughout and have sent it to my favourite place for a re-blue.The 3 piece stock however was snapped just short either side of both grafted on 'cheeks' and had at some point been repaired with a couple of inserts,so appears to be quite strong.This damage defied every attempt to look reasonable with an oil finish and so in the end I gave up and primed and sprayed the stock a dark metallic green .
    I have yet to recieve the action back from its re-blue,but I think the finished gun will look very 'interesting' when back together.

Thumbs up

Here's one that was in a right state!! (still is really )

I glued and pinned it after removing the bleddy interior filler that the last owner used to stick it back together

He cocked and dry fired the gun TBH, he did me a favour as his 'repair' fell apart

It's a rough arsed rifle that didn't deserve the abuse that it received

Pic 1

Pic 2

Pic 3

Just needs oiling now (wish i'd looked for some lighter walnut to make the dowels from )

Pic 4

Action at the top

Pic 5

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Airsporterman is offline Makes Scrooge look Happy and Generous!
    Moving target, nr Blyth, God's Northumberland
    Hi, I actually have a Mk1 (Mk1 and Mk2 stocks/actions are basically the same) action fitted in a Mk4 stock so yes, it can be done. As John says, there is a slot for the auto opening tap mechanism that has to be cut into the front (inside) of the forestock, also, the position of the forestock screws will be different, mine has been buttoned with beech dowel then sanded and new stock mounting holes drilled. The whole ensamble looks quite good but not as good (IMHO) as an original MK1 stock, they do come up from time to time.

Hope this helps.

Airsporterman

Nice job!

What a transformation! Gives me hope with my "wounded" Webley! Thanks for taking the time to post the before and after shots.