Thread: 'Turkish Tempest V 'Brummie' Tempest.

'Turkish Tempest V 'Brummie' Tempest.

Some may be aware from a previous post that despite being a 'Die Hard' all steel Webley fan I recently bought a couple of new 'Turkish' Tempests (.177 / .22) in a moment of apparent insanity. Well, as the post reported and having owned and used the pistols for 6 months or so, I now have a grudging respect for these previously unthinkable acquisitions.

I attended the 'Trafalgar' meeting last weekend and came across an original, boxed 'Brummie' Tempest in what appeared to be unused condition. I immediately started looking for obvious differences between this original and my Turkish which on initial inspection appeared to be not a lot. Anyway, one thing led to another and before I knew what was happening I'd bought the flipping thing.

On arrival back home I compared the two pistols side by side to see what differences if any, I could establish before a 'trial by fire' at my club the next day.

Summary of the cosmetic differences as follows:

'Brummie' Pistol has:

Glossier epoxy frame and grips.

Barrel latch of a slightly different profile.

Rolled Pins instead of solid pins used on all steel models to hold components in place.

Narrower trigger blade (later 'Brummie' Tempests had a wider blade fitted).

Smaller rear sight adjustment screws.

Slightly different font on Webley logo at side of shroud with additional markings under the front of the shroud.

Slightly superior overall build quality, but not too much to choose.

I have since had a chance to compare the handling and accuracy of both pistols with the following results:

The 'Brummie' Tempest is slightly harder to cock although not too bad when the right technique is used.

The trigger weight and accuracy of both pistols is almost identical and perfectly adequate. Both pistols can regularly hold the black aiming area on an NSRA 10 metre using a one handed stance, which is my definition of adequate.

If I had to choose between the two, I would go for the ''Brummie' model partly due to its slightly superior build quality, but mainly because of the now rarely seen 'Made In England' marking.

Regards

Brian

Thanks for the comparison.

I have a number of Webleys including a Junior, Mark1, Premier and a Hurricane (which is I understand very similar to the Brummie Tempest apart from the back section and sights)

As we have a property in Turkey and spend a bit of time there, I decided that I'd like an air pistol that I could play with over there. I enquired about the Turkish Tempests and ironically, the gun shop owner told me that the Tempest, although made in Turkey is not sold there and is for export only, how crazy is that?