Thread: What range variable Iris Rear sight for Indoor shooting.

Question What range variable Iris Rear sight for Indoor shooting.

Hi,

I've just bought a FWB300S with the standard Diopter Sight to use for Bell target at 6Yds

I'm thinking of buying a Variable rear Iris so I can optimise the view for different lighting levels and there seems to be a choice of ranges :-

0.8 - 1.8mm - Centra Basic & Start Line
    0.5mm - 3.0mm - Anshutz Basic, Gehmann.

Can anyone say which range would be better for the frankly quite dim lighting you get on Bell Target ranges?
    Would I be better to go for a larger range?

I haven't been able to remove the fixed rear sight yet so I'm not sure what size it is.

The Intershoot website suggest the 0.8 - 1.8 is fine for Indoor shooting...

Thanks
    Bryan

Bryan,

most people seem to pick an aperture of about 1.1mm, or between 1.0mm and 1,2mm. A 1.1mm is the standard aperture for most german rifles. Unless the range is very dark or your eye relief is very long, you won't need to go much larger. Either iris (.5 - 3.0 or .8 to 1.8mm) will work perfectly well. I'd pick whichever is cheaper.
    Last edited by tim s; 26-10-2013 at 08:11 PM.

Rear iris

Hello. I have a centra start line fitted to my 300s and it has a choice of 3 colours. I use my gun for 6yd bell target and have found that there is ample light for this type of shooting and I often don't need it fully open. My favourite option is yellow and 3/4 open but the grey or blue colour can sometimes given better clarity. The iris gives better lighting for me over the normal screw in sight but I have had to reverse my rubber eye cup to fit the centra because if fitted normally it doesn't fit deep enough over the centra and can fall off when the gun recoils.

Hi,

Thanks for the replies.

I've decided to spend a bit more money and go for the Centra 1.8 Indoor Iris.

Should be able to use the original eyeshade and I get a few more filters to play with...

Cheers
    Bryan

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.

iris

Bryan
    Save your money and get a basic .8 to 1.8, filters are just a gimick and a distraction for indoors.
    Good Shooting
    Robin
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?