Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Identification please!

Hi jjjjjj,

That is infact my photo of the etching on my .177 'Standard; which I have posted in the past both on here and the BSA airgun Owners forum. The very first 'L' prefix guns didnt necessarily have any etching as they were made immediately after the first world war and were often cobbled together from any parts that were available. However once production got started proper (after about serial number L2500) all cylinders on L prefix guns were etched with the word 'Standard'. Problem is that the etching only survives in good condition on relatively few guns, most guns have the etching missing or only barely legible.

Lakey

Now I know where to look, I can also see 'standard' etched on my gun as well as the description given by Lakey. I happened to be looking at it with my head torch on (don't ask..) and it is there as clear as day! However, in normal light it is barely visible.

How saleable are these in what is probably very average condition? I think it looks a lot better in the photos than it does in real life. There is some shallow pitting to the metal work, fairly uniformly all over, and also some discolouration in places. The stock is similarly marked, but nothing very deep.

I don't know what the sales rules are about offers in this section, (it says sales/valuations), but as long as it is not aginast the rules, I would welcome valuations and/or offers!

Hi

My bsa light ser-39461, does not have standard on the stamping.
    Regards
    Dave

My Light L34842 has visible etching which says Standard number one bore.
    Think it is around 1928.

Standard

Hello - may I input ? I suggest that as others have said , these are all Standards and the variations are the differing models , but in addition , the term Standard - to me as a casual reader and an occasional visitor to this section of the BBS , means the 'standard by which all others are judged ' - I am not sure if my English grammar is correct ......Another way is to suggest that the term Standard does not mean 'normal' or a ' run at the mill ' model . A 'Standard' is a military flag pole carried into battle and its this association that coining of the term 'Standard ' that I believe BSA had in mind for all these .