Thread: alecto magnum 1

rustington/littlehampton,riviera of the south

alecto magnum 1

Just started to get interested in the Alectos after the post by Bob on the various marks 1,2,3, and getting a run down on their operation and feel at the local shop. I must say, that considering how long it's already been on the market, I should have come to appreciate its virtues earlier. Although the styling is a matter of taste, for me this is overcome by performance and versatility; the safety catch is very user-friendly, together with the trigger and grip adjustment. The three calibre choices is nice too but a bit of a problem if, like me, you like to have a model in each. I was quite intrigued by the mechanism at the back, which I assume is the valve arrangement: as you close the rack, two small tubes get pushed back into seals. It all seems to function reliably and the shop I go to hasn't had any reliability problems; having shifted quite a few, there have been no returns. What surprised me was that there is an export model which goes under the Magnum title and produces around 12 ftlbs. It sounds interesting but there must be some pay back on that kind of output-love to try one. Anyone on here had the pleasure? Got a feeling there's an early Xmas pressie to myself here- comes in a nice box to boot!
    Last edited by red bob; 08-11-2013 at 06:31 PM.
    [FWB124s]-[ORIG45]-[relum rescue ctr]
    I CAN RESIST EVERYTHING EXCEPT AN FWB,

Known Alecto Variants.

Here is a short summary of my limited knowledge about the Alecto so far - all gathered within the last few days so it can only be regarded as a brief insight that can be expanded with the help of others with more experience and information to share with us:-

Fortunately I restrict my pistol collecting interest to .177 calibre so I don't need to worry about the alternative calibre's and it helps to reduce the cost - and this is getting to be an important restriction as retirement looms ever closer!

I only need to find a nice Mk2 to complete my collection as I have a Mk1 and a Mk3

Alecto - Known Variants (so far).

Mk 1. Silver coloured valve unit with scope rail but no groove on the moulded barrel shroud.

Mk 2. Black coloured valve unit with a cut scope groove on the revised moulded barrel shroud.

Mk 3. Black coloured valve unit with a cut scope groove on the revised moulded barrel shroud and a screw threaded barrel to allow the fitting of the optional silencer.

Left handed grips are available as an option and fit all variants as this area has never been revised in any way.

Higher powered (Magnum) export versions with 12 ft/lbs have been made - possibly in all three known Mk's.

A variant with a 3" longer barrel and 14% more power called the "Ultra" further extends this range (and still fits in the plastic case!).

Alectos have been made in .177, .20 and .22.

As more information is gained or corrections are made I will keep this small spec-sheet updated - and I am sure we will also find some small variations within each type as one variant merges into the next and there is the possibility that the production may have overlapped each type a little as well :think: was available in all three variants?
    Last edited by zooma; 09-11-2013 at 08:18 PM.
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

wish my limited knowledge was that good ,very useful summary cheers bob.

Yet Another Alecto??

I have just added another Alecto variant to the list I put up earlier today!

Another Alecto variant has a 3" longer barrel and gives 14% more power and is called the "Ultra" and still fits inside the plastic case! This information was gained from a similar thread on CAPA - thanks to "Thirdwheel" for this contribution.

I have never heard of this one before and it may be another special for the American market - but Chambers have the longer barrel in stock (!!) so it looks like this is a very interesting addition to the known range!

Other Walther Barrels

Extended Lothar Walther "match grade" barrels for the ALECTO are available ( with silencer ) to fit the Alecto in .177, .20 and .22 from Chambers along with genuine Webley extended barrels in .177 !!

o dear it very much looks like my wallet is going to be a fair bit lighter by the end of the month ;i do love experimenting with varients
    cheers bob.

oooh seems Christmas came early cheers bob.
    just checked out the chambers site and the lothar/walther match grade barrel extension comes with a similar quality silencer.
    which will make a very nice set up to experiment with ,now how about some walnut grips to finish things,i did start investigating
    and found various references on a Canadian forum but no source .the shape is detailed im sure one of our homegrown craftsmen
    can sort this .
    Last edited by red bob; 11-11-2013 at 10:51 PM.

Here is a link to some pictures of a Mk1 Alecto:-

http://bobsairguns.com/index.php?opt...ery&Itemid=179

I will try to get some pictures done of a Mk3 later this week.