Thread: Uberti Cattleman Nitro conversion

Uberti Cattleman Nitro conversion

Hi

Just bought an Uberti Cattleman pistol in .44 And after a bit of info from those in the know!

I have been told that I do not need to use wads like I do on my blackpowder pistols, but not conviced that this is the case?

I plan to use 2.5 grns of bulleseye as a starting load but any help would be appreciated.

Kind regards

Andy..

Hi

Is this an Anvil Conversions job ?

I have the full size 1858 and the load is 4.3grs of Herco or similar speed powder, no wads.
    Note Bullseye is a much faster burning powder - not sure if that would be safe ?

Cheers
    Paul
    NSRA and NRA qualified RCO.

The problem is that I don't know who did the conversion and neither did the dealer I bought it from

There are no makers marks on the cylinder only proof marks, don't fancy blowing my hand off really.
    I wil try and find a magnifying glass today so I can look closer than my dodgy eyesight will.

Quote Originally Posted by clueless View Post
    The problem is that I don't know who did the conversion and neither did the dealer I bought it from

There are no makers marks on the cylinder only proof marks, don't fancy blowing my hand off really.
    I wil try and find a magnifying glass today so I can look closer than my dodgy eyesight will.
    I was always under the impression that the Uberti Cattleman nitro-shooters were done by Robert Kershaw. The proofmarks will be the, uh, proof.

tac

Fairly sure its not a kershaw conversion,

The marks on the gun are as follows NP 68 on the frame and cylinder, pn with a star above on the frame and barell.

3L or Possibly BL on the frame and thats it apart from the serial number.

Any ideas

Fairly sure its not a kershaw conversion,

The marks on the gun are as follows NP 68 on the frame and cylinder, pn with a star above on the frame and barell.

3L or Possibly BL on the frame and thats it apart from the serial number.

Any ideas
    BL [in a little box] on the frame means that it was made in 1998 [Italian proof date from Gardone Val Trompia, Brescia proof house]. The star over PN is the Italian BLACK POWDER proof from the same place and time. The NP 68 is not known to me, but is neither English nor Italian.

The Italian nitro proof stamp is the same star over PSF - Pulvere Senza Fumo - and star over F - Finito.

The cylinder SHOULD bear Birmingham or London proof marks somewhere on it, and, additionally EVERY chamber should have been proofed separately, too, and the appropriate stamp on the web between the chambers.

tac

Hi

Just bought an Uberti Cattleman pistol in .44 And after a bit of info from those in the know!

I have been told that I do not need to use wads like I do on my blackpowder pistols, but not conviced that this is the case?

I plan to use 2.5 grns of bulleseye as a starting load but any help would be appreciated.

Kind regards

Andy..
    Wads with ball, but not with wadcutters. Your choice.

tac

A and A gunsmiths at Skegness offer the Cattleman with a nitro conversion if i remember right.
    They have a web site showing stuff they do, might be worth a look. Tim

Thanks for the info chaps, plenty of great info from the last two posts and I am now fairly sure it is indeed from A&A gunsmiths.

Will give them a call on Monday to confirm

Andy