Thread: Advice on how not to buy a @pup@

Advice on how not to buy a @pup@

Just started getting into target shooting at local club, which has given me the opportunity to try a couple of PCP pistols.

Ive also been looking through the various forums including this one - the general consensus being that (a) getting a good (Steyr, Feinwerkbau or Morini) second hand target pistol is a much better way of getting into the sport than going new at the cheaper end and (b) its as much about fit for you as anything else

My question is really about what to look for if I ever spot or come across one of my short list for sale at a decent price - assuming that I wouldnt get the opportunity for an extended test if its a private sale.
    - What can go wrong/wear out with age or abuse?
    - Any models where service parts are expensive and or hard to get?

How do you spot a "pup"?

Any advice gratefully received!
    Thx
    AA 400 MPF FT / Viper 6-24 x56 / Rowan Air Stripper / Inexperienced software between the floor and the trigger!!

If you are buying a second-hand Feinwerkbau P44 or Morini 162EI for example it is unlikely they will have been abused by their previous owners who almost certainly will be target shooters. Sometimes owners will cut away grips or add plastic padding etc to them in order that they fit individual hands. It is also, if possible, best to check that the air cylinder valves do not leak - they should be able to hold pressure. In the case of the Morini with electronic trigger beware of buying an early model since an odd type of battery was fitted and they are not easy to find; the later models use AAA size. I bought a 162EI 'as seen' about 12 years ago and it still shoots as well now as it did then and is has never malfunctioned. I have since acquired a Feinwerkbau P44 but I have still got the Morini. In a private sale expect to pay half to two thirds of new price depending on age/condition but it is always useful if you can shoot it first. Good luck in your shooting; you will find it challenging!

Thanks for the advice

This is going to be like buying a classic car - if you get it right and it will give enjoyment for years.

H
    AA 400 MPF FT / Viper 6-24 x56 / Rowan Air Stripper / Inexperienced software between the floor and the trigger!!

Nothing about target pistols is cheap!
    But they do seem to last and work well if cared for.
    Most owners are very keen and really look after them.

You can get second hand co2 cartridge target pistols that are much cheaper than air ones.
    Look out for Tau 7 ,Alfa Pro, Aeron.

I recently bought A Walther LP 200 which is over 14 years old but performs really well.
    This is a pcp and was my first venture into the expensive end of pistol shooting.
    So far so good!

City Air Weapons in Solihull are helpful experts.

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Quote Originally Posted by AC99 View Post
    In the case of the Morini with electronic trigger beware of buying an early model since an odd type of battery was fitted and they are not easy to find...
    Batteries are still available widely (Varta V74PX) & cheaply £6-ish (bearing in mind they'll last for about 15,000 shots IIRC which is about 3 years at 100 shots every week)
    Morini also make an adaptor using 10xLR54 cells....

Quote Originally Posted by hmac007 View Post
    I've also been looking through the various forums including this one - the general consensus being that (a) getting a good (Steyr, Feinwerkbau or Morini) second hand target pistol is a much better way of getting into the sport than going new at the cheaper end and (b) its as much about fit for you as anything else
    Nothing wrong with getting in at the cheaper end either...That's how I started (with a Gamo Compact) and you'll not lose any money if buying second-hand at any end of the spectrum.
    The advantages of a good fit apply regardless of price as well and a Gamo Compact already has quite a tidy pair of grips to start with which can be 'fitted' in exactly the same way as Morini ones...
    In fact working your way up gives you more time to evaluate other shooters guns before taking the very expensive plunge yourself only to find you actually would have preferred something else...(and you see that a lot!)

Good shooting whatever you choose
    Last edited by harvey_s; 20-02-2014 at 12:07 AM.