Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Greener air Rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by ashf9999 View Post
    I fear you don't mean all 3 for £1100....
    Shocking
    No!!! one is up for £1195

So £550 a little broken is almost a good deal???

Certainly not a good deal. Ones in good original condition I've seen have been between £450 and £600 retail - the latter from a shop known to be expensive. Even if that one was repaired it won't be worth as much as if it hadn't been damaged in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by ashf9999 View Post
    Certainly not a good deal. Ones in good original condition I've seen have been between £450 and £600 retail - the latter from a shop known to be expensive. Even if that one was repaired it won't be worth as much as if it hadn't been damaged in the first place.
    I suppose you're right and it's all well and good shops asking over a grand, whether they get it is another matter???

Although how do you put a price on a greener when no one knows how many they made??? One history I saw this morning suggested they'd knock a few airguns out when they had no shotguns to work on.

Saw some nice old pictures of Birmingham in the 60's before they knocked it all down and built the bullring.

Greener air rifle

Quote Originally Posted by Fronteria View Post
    One of the cams was broken into four bits! on a closer look it was found that when the lever was removed it has broken through all four corners of the square in the cam, which enables the cam to be turned when the lever is moved to close the breech, force had been applied which caused the incorrectly assembled cam to break up.
    A rare quality air rifle is probably a write off.
    And I can't see anyone buying it at the price it was offer at, as getting the breech cam parts made is sure to be expensive.
    I can add a bit more to the 'Grreener Saga'. Last night I met up with a mate who, last week, had the opportunity to take this rifle home with him and it examine it for a few days. The bloke selling the gun knew little about collectable airguns and was not the same person who dis-assembled it. The high point of the cam is clearly identified with a punch mark but it is possible to fit it in 4 different positions - the plate has a square cut-out into which fits the the square shaft running through the tap. It seems that on re-assembly this unknown person had fitted it 90 degrees out! On closing the breech and moving the locking lever back, inevitably some resistance was encountered and rather than just stop there and consider the possibility that you might just have got it wrong this person then seemingly applied further pressure in order to lock the breech. The long lever provides a high degree of mechanical advantage and the result was the square drive shaft broke through the thin side-wall (a couple of mm) at the four corners of the square hole it the cam plate.
    On loading and firing a pellet there was a prolonged hiss of escaping air and the pellet barely left the barrel. The pellet seating mechanism had been severely impaired also the leakage may have been due to a damaged piston washer; either way it doesn't shoot and the stock is split apparently! The offered price now was £285; my mate offered him £100 which was declined. The whereabouts of the gun is now unknown - it is probably 'doing the rounds' and probably heading for a town near you. Look out for a shady character entering your local carrying a long package, "wanna buy a nice Greener guv -only £400 cash!" Caveat emptor - let the buyer beware!

Although how do you put a price on a greener when no one knows how many they made??? One history I saw this morning suggested they'd knock a few airguns out when they had no shotguns to work on.

Mine is No. 824. I seem to remember reading that they'd made about 860, staggering into the 1960s, despite the naked front end and general stock shape suggesting something prewar.

Prices can easily get unrealistically high when guns are bought at auction and buyers' premium and VAT only make them dearer, not better.

Unfortunately once something appears in print it tends to become regarded as gospel and can form the basis for research, the more so when a relatively small demand ensures no second edition with the opportunity to correct previous mistakes.

ATVB, Mick
    When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns .