Thread: Fag filters for barrel cleaning.

Fag filters for barrel cleaning.

Just tried some extra thin filters in my .177 ssp's. Found them a bit too big in diameter unless rolled a bit tighter between finger and thumb. I cut them in half also, as a full one wouldn't leave the barrel of my 1377. At wilkinsons i've seen ultra slim filters and might try them for smaller diameter. Im not convinced yet about the effectiveness of these filters over the felt ones, as the filters that did fire through disintegrated into bits. Anyone else tried these fag filters for .177 pistols. ATB. Pete.
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Yep, I use them all the time and I find they are very good at cleaning barrels.

Being made from a coarser material than the felts and when loaded behind a pellet, they expand into the rifling and clean really well and of course these are much cheaper than those pricey felts.

Quote Originally Posted by ikarma70 View Post
    Yep, I use them all the time and I find they are very good at cleaning barrels.

Being made from a coarser material than the felts and when loaded behind a pellet, they expand into the rifling and clean really well and of course these are much cheaper than those pricey felts.
    Ta for that, but what diameter (slim, extra, ultra for .177.) Do you cut them in half? Do you mean put filter in first then pellet? Do they stay in one piece for inspection, mine didn't. ATB. Pete.
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Quote Originally Posted by peteswright View Post
    Just tried some extra thin filters in my .177 ssp's. Found them a bit too big in diameter unless rolled a bit tighter between finger and thumb. I cut them in half also, as a full one wouldn't leave the barrel of my 1377. At wilkinsons i've seen ultra slim filters and might try them for smaller diameter. Im not convinced yet about the effectiveness of these filters over the felt ones, as the filters that did fire through disintegrated into bits. Anyone else tried these fag filters for .177 pistols. ATB. Pete.
    the idea of using fag filters for cleaning airgun barrels has been out for years, (ive been shooting airguns for 20 years and the filter thing was one of the first cleaning tips i was told) stick with the vgf cleaning pellets (they recommend using the pre drilled pellets (the ones that are used on the pullthroughs)and a pointed pellet behind them, they sat the point of the pellet digs into the felt pellet and expands it
    "Men occasionally stumble on the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened" Winston Churchill
    http://planetairgun.com/index.php

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    I really don't understand this thread to be honest - are you guys seriously suggesting that on the odd occasion you want to clean your barrel you can't afford 5p on a felt wad... and instead you'd risk damaging your barrel by using a fag filter tip which are generally made of cellulose acetate, a plastic not particularly well-known for its high velocity cleaning properties....

Quote Originally Posted by harvey_s View Post
    I really don't understand this thread to be honest - are you guys seriously suggesting that on the odd occasion you want to clean your barrel you can't afford 5p on a felt wad... and instead you'd risk damaging your barrel by using a fag filter tip which are generally made of cellulose acetate, a plastic not particularly well-known for its high velocity cleaning properties....
    I've always used the vfg felt ones in the past or a pull through and on balance I think you're right harvey. Just thought it worth a try, but my early attempts with fag filters don't seem very promising. ATB. Pete.

That made me chuckle!

I do cut them in half and if the filter is too fat to fit in the breech I roll it between my fingers and it will go in.
    I meant load pellet first then put the filter behind the pellet, the filter goes faster than the pellet so it will push against the pellet causing it to expand into the rifling.
    I also oil the first one to lift some of the muck off, I oil the last one after they come out clean.

Just remember guys, that after a few hundred uses of cigarette filters in your airgun your airgun output will start to be wheezy and may run out of puff before you get halfway round the hft course........!
    Pete.

Quote Originally Posted by ikarma70 View Post
    I do cut them in half....
    Well absolutely...you don't want go wasting money on using a whole one after all

Well absolutely...you don't want go wasting money on using a whole one after all
    NOW NOW! Play nice.

Quote Originally Posted by peteswright View Post
    NOW NOW! Play nice.
    Note smiley face before calling banter police...

fag filters

I have always used the felt ones in my SSP, would not dream of putting anything else through the barrel, I can understand the thought and logic behind trying fag filters but they are full of nasty things.
    Atb com177

So it is now an established fact:-
    Fag filtertips are tightwads for tightwads

...But the real misers buy a cleaning kit. Coz you can use them over and over and over....and over again. I bought one in 1986 - still got it !
    Musketeer, Tin-Horseman and Axeman extraordinaire

BigEars Guest
    The Alf Tupper approach to barrel hygiene.