Thread: shimming meteor barrel

shimming meteor barrel

hello everybody I've just bought a mk5 meteor with side to side play in the breach and wondered what was the best way to tackle it. Could it be shimmed,there is a fair bit of play in the barrel and pivot pin and the breach jaws were splayed but I think I've got them pretty parallel now.Any help will be appreciated, I want to use it to shoot bell target,triggers not great but can get half inch groups at 7 yards but if the jaws were tighter I think it could be better.
    thanks for looking regards Pete.
    ripley ar5s
    aa ev2 Bushnell Elite 8-32x40
    castle ftc

ggggr is offline part time super hero and seeker of justice
    Quote Originally Posted by miller View Post
    hello everybody I've just bought a mk5 meteor with side to side play in the breach and wondered what was the best way to tackle it. Could it be shimmed,there is a fair bit of play in the barrel and pivot pin and the breach jaws were splayed but I think I've got them pretty parallel now.Any help will be appreciated, I want to use it to shoot bell target,triggers not great but can get half inch groups at 7 yards but if the jaws were tighter I think it could be better.
    thanks for looking regards Pete.
    You can nip the jaws up in some soft jaws in a vice OR, use a screw,nut and 2 washers. Put a washer on the screw and put it through the jaws, put the washer and nut on the other end. Hold the nut with a spanner and tighten the screw with a screw driver (It is that easy to close them up).
    If you get the action out of the stock, there is a trigger adjusting screw on the trigger. Just turn it 1/8 of a turn and try again and repeat. You can polish up the trigger and sear. A softer/shorter mainspring would help and probably a decent guide. I am not a fan of the MK5 Meteor because the cocking linkage causes more problems than it solves.
    Cooler than Mace Windu with a FRO, walking into Members Only and saying "Bitches, be cool"

Cheers for that have done the vice bit and got the breach jaws pretty parallel and breach seems central with slight gap at both sides so wondered if shims like HW use might do the trick.
    ripley ar5s
    castle ftc

Cheers for that have done the vice bit and got the breach jaws pretty parallel and breach seems central with slight gap at both sides so wondered if shims like HW use might do the trick.
    Shims are pointless unless you have a screw/ nut pivot to tighten the jaws against the shims, the jaws will still spread over time. Just nip the jaws together slightly, without the barrel in, so that you have to force the barrel back inbetween the jaws.

Pete.

Cheers Pete are mercurys affected in the same way.I think I've read somewhere meteor and mercury barrels are the same.
    ripley ar5s
    castle ftc

Cheers Pete are mercurys affected in the same way.I think I've read somewhere meteor and mercury barrels are the same.
    Yes, they are all the same, apart from the Mercury S which had a bolt rather than a pin.
    It is a common problem but perfectly acceptable to nip up the jaws in a padded vice, after which it should last for yonks.
    Pete.

Late Mercury MK3's, Mercury S and Challenger all have a threaded barrel pivot bolt and collar.

ATB.

Airsporterman is offline Makes Scrooge look Happy and Generous!
    Moving target, nr Blyth, God's Northumberland
    You could make shims using a coke can. (empty one)
    You can cut them out with a sharp pair of scissors.
    Don't ask me how I know.
    Personally - I would go the shimming route in preference to the 'nipping up' idea!

Airsporterman
    I am a Man of La Northumberlandia, a true Knight and spend my days on my Quest (my duty nay privilege!) and fighting dragons and unbeatable foe, to right the unrightable wrongs, to bear with unbearable sorrow and dreaming my impossible dreams.

Barrel "rock" will be down to the breech pin fit. If a new pin doesn't sort it then you'll need to get an oversize one sorted.

A gap at the jaws, should just be closed up as suggested.

Ok looks beech headache is due to oversized hole in barrel.Pin 6.3 mm so suppose quarter inch with hole in breach 0.2 mm bigger.Adjusted trigger which is better so might take a coil off spring to drop power a bit and improve trigger a bit more. Thanks for all help.
    Cheers Pete.
    ripley ar5s
    castle ftc