Thread: Dating a Webley

Dating a Webley

I know it's not an airweapon but think this is still probably the best place to ask about a Webley flare pistol I've been offered. Brass-bodied with the flying pellet motif. Serial no. is 137211. The would-be vendor carried it on his yacht for many years ( And so will I - just as soon as I get one! ) and claimed he once fired it at the bridge of a supertanker which was threatening to run him down off the coast of Sumatra. That could have gone wrong in so many ways. I wonder if we'd have heard the big bang here.

Mods please note - no intention to offend* and please move this wherever appropriate if necessary.

ATVB, Mick

* It's not as if I was writing to Binners!
    When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns .

An interesting find Mick. I think you may struggle to date that I doubt that flare pistols are very collectable, and as for any production records I doubt that too. Still you never know,so good luck with the search.

It would be nice if you could post a photo link though...

Pete.

PM sent
    Last edited by mel h; 24-05-2014 at 09:00 AM.

Try this link and click on The Webley and Scott Archive.
    www.armsresearch.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by walnutfarmmick View Post
    I know it's not an airweapon but think this is still probably the best place to ask about a Webley flare pistol I've been offered. Brass-bodied with the flying pellet motif. Serial no. is 137211. The would-be vendor carried it on his yacht for many years ( And so will I - just as soon as I get one! ) and claimed he once fired it at the bridge of a supertanker which was threatening to run him down off the coast of Sumatra. That could have gone wrong in so many ways. I wonder if we'd have heard the big bang here.

Mods please note - no intention to offend* and please move this wherever appropriate if necessary.

ATVB, Mick

* It's not as if I was writing to Binners!
    airweapon, Mick? Weapon? You mean I've been collecting weapons all these years? I thought they were fairly harmless (when used properly) tools for leisure and sport.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    airweapon, Mick? Weapon? You mean I've been collecting weapons all these years? I thought they were fairly harmless (when used properly) tools for leisure and sport.
    You mean that you're not the man that can create a bomb using only components that can be bought at an airport, Danny? You've just dropped a notch in my estimation .

Seriously, though, it was perhaps a slightly unfortunate choice of phrase. But then the flare pistol used for it's intended purpose fulfills the definition of your last sentence but when pointed at the bridge of a VLCC ... ( assuming that that did actually happen ).

Thanks to the others for advice and concern, Mick

No VLCCs were harmed during the writing of this post

What's that you say?

What's a VLCC?

Very Large Crude Carrier - think overweight Relum owner.

Sorry, couldn't resist that.

Off to bed before there's a fatwa declared on me.

ATVB, Mick

When I first saw the title I thought, Well I've only ever dated girls but I suppose whatever floats your boat

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

I think you need a FAC to own one, but l could be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by micky View Post
    I think you need a FAC to own one, but l could be wrong.
    Thank you. You are quite right although one or two versions may fall under the Obsolete Calibre rule. This one is actually abroad at present and would be a candidate for deactivation on import. It's not something I've any interest in owning but do have a potential owner with a great love of WW I militaria lined up. That was why I posted my original thread regarding the date. I thought the story of firing it at the tanker might amuse one or two. After all, one man's terrorist is another man's about-to-be-sunk-yachtsman?

Further thanks to those who pmed me to warn me of the possible pitfalls too.

I'm about to send a photo to Flatrajectory and will happily do the same for anyone else that wants one.

ATVB, Mick