Thread: Help needed: Tell 177 Break Barrel Air Rifle

Question Help needed: Tell 177 Break Barrel Air Rifle

I've recently been given a Tell 177 break-barrel springer. It has the serial number A11 1007 and 'Made in Germany' stamped on the underneath of the short hexagon section of the barrel and the word 'Tell' stamped in an italic script logo form on the top face of the hexagon. Cylinder and barrel pivot screw also carry the number '1007'.

Can anyone provide information about the origin, age, manufacturer of this little rifle? It is currently in a very sad, much used, abused and repaired state.

I particularly need to know whether the trigger block screws onto the cylinder as it's too rusty to tell. Also, it seems that the trigger is held into the trigger block by a pin which only goes in from one side of the block. There is an indent which I assume is where the pin ends on one side of the block but it is too rusty to see the other end - which I assume finishes flush with the block when it is fully inserted. I'm not sure whether the stock is original, but it seems to be of a shape typical of the Haenel model 50 style of stock.

Any information relevant to this little rifle - which I assume would have been marketed as a 'boys' pattern - relating to dating, manufacture etc - but most importantly on how it comes apart - would be most welcome.

Cheers everyone,
    datadave

Tell Air Rifle

Obtaining info on this gun has been difficult although I have found an American blog site hosted by 'BB Pelletier' who describes the strip-down of one of the Tell rifles, which while not the identical model to the one I've been given - which turns out to be what Hiller calls a Tell 'Model 1' - is almost identical in build. The one problem I have now is the separation of the cylinder from the trigger block, which seems to be corroded.

Surprising really, that there's not more info on Tell air rifles about - they seem to have been quite a well-known and relatively prolific manufacturer between the wars, exporting to the UK and USA etc.

Hopefully, I'll be able to get it apart and eventually up and running!

Cheers
    datadave

Hi if you could put some photos up of the gun it might help members on here to help you.
    regards,
    Mick.

tell

I have one of these Tell rifles mines number 1365 so it's close to yours,to dismantle it you have remove the trigger guard,then unscrew the trigger block,you might have to soak it in wd 40,if you can get the trigger out,you can put something in the slot to help turn it,the pin holding the trigger is a taper fit,it knocks out from the side with the barrel facing left.If you can get the stock off you could drop the gun in diesel for a few days,or perhaps put some heat on it. I hope this is of some help.