Thread: HW45 breech seal

HW45 breech seal

I had a bit of a problem yesterday. Fired my HW45 and large quantities of smoke came from every where, not just the normal slight waft from the barrel (its fairly new). On opening the action I discovered that the breech seal was no where to be seen. I fitted the spare that came with the pistol but I'd really like to know what happened to the original one.

Do they vaporise or just fall out ? Is this a common occurrence?

Thanks
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by MTA123 View Post
    I had a bit of a problem yesterday. Fired my HW45 and large quantities of smoke came from every where, not just the normal slight waft from the barrel (its fairly new). On opening the action I discovered that the breech seal was no where to be seen. I fitted the spare that came with the pistol but I'd really like to know what happened to the original one.

Do they vaporise or just fall out ? Is this a common occurrence?

Thanks
    Mike
    When the gun settles down (not smoking anymore) don't lube it anywhere. Run it dry. The seal can just drop out, but its rare if a smear of oil

is put over it from time to time, just to keep it from drying out.( Dont let any oil drip down into the hole of breech or it'll BANG!). Usually it gets dragged out by a pellet thats not seated fully in the barrel as with any gun. As you close the barrel arm keep the gun pointing down on closing as a loose fitting pellet can bounce upward and slightly out causing the lip of skirt to catch on the breech seal. ATB. Pete.
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

As above really. Make sure that you seat the pellet fully flush into the breech. If you can't push the pellet in fully I suggest you try a different brand of pellet.
    Pete.

Ok thanks. Well I had a bag of 50 new seals arrive today at 6p each so I'm now less worried than I was; should keep me going a couple of years

Quote Originally Posted by MTA123 View Post
    Ok thanks. Well I had a bag of 50 new seals arrive today at 6p each so I'm now less worried than I was; should keep me going a couple of years
    What you need now is a HW40 and a HW75 to use up the seals Having said that, i've got all three pistols and not yet had a seal pop out! ATB. Pete.
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.