Thread: Meteor brought back to life!

Meteor brought back to life!

I know that most of you chaps co this sort of thing in your sleep but this is the first time that I have attempted major surgery on a rifle. I bought a very clean and very cheap Meteor in .177 a few months ago but when I got it home I discovered that it would not clear a pellet out of the barrel. Suspecting the worst I ordered a lubricating kit and a new head from TR Robb.

Today I finally plucked up courage after being talked through the procedure by GGGR...and found that the spring had broken in several places...how does that happen, I can understand one break but so many...?

http://i754.photobucket.com/albums/x...ps08534c9c.jpg

I took a picture of the trigger which eventually got back together...I swear that I am so dense that I caught myself making chimp noises as I was doing this...honestly the stupid...it burns.

http://i754.photobucket.com/albums/x...ps5dbc4962.jpg

As a bit of a test I shot a can which proved at least this rifle is now deadly at four feet! As this is an old girl maybe I should have put more lubrication on (groan) but you live and learn. The number begins with NH...I thought this was a MK5 but it has a joint in the cocking arm....anyone any idea what model this actually is?

Thanks for looking chaps!

http://i754.photobucket.com/albums/x...ps22dc83c6.jpg

Chippendale is offline Well stuff me, you live and learn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamocfx View Post
    I know that most of you chaps co this sort of thing in your sleep but this is the first time that I have attempted major surgery on a rifle. I bought a very clean and very cheap Meteor in .177 a few months ago but when I got it home I discovered that it would not clear a pellet out of the barrel. Suspecting the worst I ordered a lubricating kit and a new head from TR Robb.

Today I finally plucked up courage after being talked through the procedure by GGGR...and found that the spring had broken in several places...how does that happen, I can understand one break but so many...?

http://i754.photobucket.com/albums/x...ps08534c9c.jpg

I took a picture of the trigger which eventually got back together...I swear that I am so dense that I caught myself making chimp noises as I was doing this...honestly the stupid...it burns.

http://i754.photobucket.com/albums/x...ps5dbc4962.jpg

As a bit of a test I shot a can which proved at least this rifle is now deadly at four feet! As this is an old girl maybe I should have put more lubrication on (groan) but you live and learn. The number begins with NH...I thought this was a MK5 but it has a joint in the cocking arm....anyone any idea what model this actually is?

Thanks for looking chaps!

http://i754.photobucket.com/albums/x...ps22dc83c6.jpg
    J Knibbs says:- NH is a Meteor MK V + Super MK IV.177 1979 -1994
    Hope this helps

Chippendale (with clothes on)

...The number begins with NH...I thought this was a MK5 but it has a joint in the cocking arm....anyone any idea what model this actually is?...
    Articulated cocking arm...yep that's a Mk5.
    Every time I've had to change the spring in a Meteor it's been because the original had broken in to four pieces. Typically the gun will still produce between 2 & 2.5fpe even with a knackered spring.
    One should never underestimate the enjoyment that refurbishing an old Meteor can bring...lovely old guns - in my opinion of course.
    HuMa regulated S200 .22...
    Artemis PP800 .177...
    Weihrauch HW45 .177

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration

It is simple.

How To Knacker A BSA Meteor Spring (only do this in a Foreign Country where there is no Power Limit)

1. Cock rifle
    2. Put three drops of 3-In-1 oil into the compression chamber via the transfer port. That's why it's called a transfer port, isn't it?
    3. Dry fire the rifle.
    4. Put a pellet in and fire your Meteor off, preferably at a metal dustbin.
    5. Wow in amazement at the firey discharge, the mighty 'crack' and the leaping of the little Meteor in your arms.
    6. If you have managed to hit the Dustbin, WOW at the damage it has done - sometimes denting the other side even!
    7. Repeat the 3-In-1 treatment until your Meteor doesn't work very well any more and makes horrible grinding noises.
    8. Put the Meteor in the cupboard under the stairs and go off and discover other things you can apply your ill-founded optimism to, like women or mopeds.

Thanks for the responses chaps. The date is really useful Chip....this model had a good run! Now I am wondering why the springs disintergrate into so many pieces! Hsing, your description probably perfectly describes what happened to this rifle....I have four Meteors but this is the best looking.

Long live the Meteor! (probably only a couple of million of them left LOL)

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    It is simple.

How To Knacker A BSA Meteor Spring (only do this in a Foreign Country where there is no Power Limit)

1. Cock rifle
    2. Put three drops of 3-In-1 oil into the compression chamber via the transfer port. That's why it's called a transfer port, isn't it?
    3. Dry fire the rifle.
    4. Put a pellet in and fire your Meteor off, preferably at a metal dustbin.
    5. Wow in amazement at the firey discharge, the mighty 'crack' and the leaping of the little Meteor in your arms.
    6. If you have managed to hit the Dustbin, WOW at the damage it has done - sometimes denting the other side even!
    7. Repeat the 3-In-1 treatment until your Meteor doesn't work very well any more and makes horrible grinding noises.
    8. Put the Meteor in the cupboard under the stairs and go off and discover other things you can apply your ill-founded optimism to, like women or mopeds.
    8. like smoking - we've all been there sometime...