Thread: BSA Superstar

BSA Superstar

After reading many positive comments on these, I happened to see a very nice example in my local shop, came in .22 with a new Centre point 3-9x32 and sling,and open sights including foresight hood! First impressions - boy what a twang, similar to my Supersport before it had the Vmach kit, but overall seems a very well built gun, nice trigger,and very easy cocking (full length), doing around 10.5ftlb. Before any formal testing I will need to strip and relube with well fitted guide/top hat. A nice easy project, unlike the Vulcan I bought in the Midland on Sat.

Great guns

Yes they are very twangy when unfettled - good spring guide and top hat, job done

Matty
    Opportunity is missed by most people, because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Fit a lubricant tube if missing. Makes for smooth cocking and damps spring oscillations further. Ultra guides from T W Chambers for BSA are very good also.

Quote Originally Posted by POK! View Post
    Fit a lubricant tube if missing. Makes for smooth cocking and damps spring oscillations further. Ultra guides from T W Chambers for BSA are very good also.
    What's a lubricant tube pok never heard of one
    A few nice rifles

It's a synthetic piston liner used to keep spring lube escaping into the compression cylinder. It also acts as a bearing surface for spring OD and helps prevent buckling under compression, will also help reduce concertina like oscillations that cause twang. They wear and are best replaced from time to time. Only about £8 from Knibbs. One other tip for a Ssport refurb is to shim the detent spring with 8-9 m3.5 washers for a secure lock-up. m3.5 fit perfectly inside the hollow detent. Of course the SStar doesn't have that problem, just thought I'd mention.

Quote Originally Posted by POK! View Post
    It's a synthetic piston liner used to keep spring lube escaping into the compression cylinder. It also acts as a bearing surface for spring OD and helps prevent buckling under compression, will also help reduce concertina like oscillations that cause twang. They wear and are best replaced from time to time. Only about £8 from Knibbs. One other tip for a Ssport refurb is to shim the detent spring with 8-9 m3.5 washers for a secure lock-up. m3.5 fit perfectly inside the hollow detent. Of course the SStar doesn't have that problem, just thought I'd mention.
    Thank's for that Pock know what you ment now got a Superstar in the post on its way to me so will be fiddleing soon ATB Mike
    A few nice rifles

When I pulled my twangy .177 Superstar apart I found it had no spring guide and a bent spring!

I had the spring and guide from a HW99 and found them a good fit, also a new seal kit, gave me 10.4 ft-lbs straight away.

Took it apart again again and added a top hat and spacer washers to get 11.4 with Defiant 7.5 pellets.

Much quieter action now, to twang. Quite a noisy gun at the muzzle though!

Very accurate

I am getting to like this new Superstar, the loading system is very good. Its weird because its an underlever like my HW77 I keep trying to thumb off the none existant auto safety! Would like to try one of these in carbine length.