Thread: HW35E reborn for next to nothing!

HW35E reborn for next to nothing!

This really cheered me up today

I purchased a 1980 35E a few years back but it was suffering with leaky breech syndrome and after several attempts to fix it I gave up. I never got it above 7.5 ft lb I stripped the gun down and left it in a box.

I decided recently to purchase a new cylinder/back block to get the gun working again but funds would not stretch to a new unit at 110 quid.

A couple of days ago I managed to procure a 35 cylinder off that auction site delivered to my door for... 7 quid

I missed out on the matching back block as I was outbid at 44 quid (the block was complete with trigger unit and safety) and I was then very concerned that my original back block would not be a match...

... I needn't have worried!

The old back block is a perfect match for the "unmatched" 2nd hand auction cylinder and after a new breech seal and rebuild I have a smooth shooting .22 35E doing 11.3 ft lb with Superdomes

RESULT!!!

Matty
    Opportunity is missed by most people, because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Red face

It was worth the wait.

Nice one!......great result
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

premierpistol is offline Six out of seven dwarfs aren't happy
    You lucky lucky b***er

Nice to hear another E has survived ! good on yer

Nice one. What is it about rescuing HW35s. I made one of of parts: http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Airs...tml?sort=4&o=0 and recently rescued one from the bin: http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Airs...tml?sort=6&o=0

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    Nice one. What is it about rescuing HW35s. I made one of of parts: http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Airs...tml?sort=4&o=0 and recently rescued one from the bin: http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Airs...tml?sort=6&o=0

ATB
    Ian
    The satisfaction of rescuing a really long thing from the bin.... it's probably more a case of having to as the lid wont close down on them IJ

They're a good feeling gun, apart from the "click" but I've found a way of eradicating that now, good ole' PTFE eh ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by MattyBoy View Post

I purchased a 1980 35E a few years back but it was suffering with leaky breech syndrome and after several attempts to fix it I gave up. I never got it above 7.5 ft lb I stripped the gun down and left it in a box.

I decided recently to purchase a new cylinder/back block to get the gun working again but funds would not stretch to a new unit at 110 quid.

A couple of days ago I managed to procure a 35 cylinder off that auction site delivered to my door for... 7 quid

I missed out on the matching back block as I was outbid at 44 quid (the block was complete with trigger unit and safety) and I was then very concerned that my original back block would not be a match...

The old back block is a perfect match for the "unmatched" 2nd hand auction cylinder and after a new breech seal and rebuild I have a smooth shooting .22 35E doing 11.3 ft lb with Superdomes

RESULT!!!

Matty
    That is lucky! I bought one off here as a fixer up but the back block is not the correct one for the cylinder, the scope rails are a slightly different depth and the block has to be a bit loose to get them aligned. Still pondering what to do for the best but it came with a luxus stock that has good grain and 2 barrels so I am still happy with the purchase. Might get a new back block made.
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer

Superb ... I love to hear about bargains. Talking about trigger blocks: daughter's HW77K in .177 started off as a .22 but had a .177 barrel fitted. It was an auction buy and when we came to fit a scope it was very difficult as we could not shim the scope enough to allow adjustment. The problem was the trigger block grooves being slightly 'higher' than the cylinder. Issue resolved by only mounting scope on the cylinder grooves ... all became perfect. We can only assume this 'bitsa' rifle had a replacement block.
    Cheers, Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Russell View Post
    Superb ... I love to hear about bargains. Talking about trigger blocks: daughter's HW77K in .177 started off as a .22 but had a .177 barrel fitted. It was an auction buy and when we came to fit a scope it was very difficult as we could not shim the scope enough to allow adjustment. The problem was the trigger block grooves being slightly 'higher' than the cylinder. Issue resolved by only mounting scope on the cylinder grooves ... all became perfect. We can only assume this 'bitsa' rifle had a replacement block.
    Cheers, Phil
    I think you should have got a Bastard File out Phil and ground the rails down to match

Matty
    Opportunity is missed by most people, because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

I think you should have got a Bastard File out Phil and ground the rails down to match

Matty
    Strangely enough those were pretty much the words I used to describe the rifle when we realised the problem ... but I left out the word 'file'.
    The rifle is, however, superb.
    Cheers, Phil

RESULT!!!

Matty
    Nice one, Matty!

Excellent result and another of these classic beauties lives again.

Out of interest, has the new cylinder got the smaller or larger diameter transfer port?

And are you running leather /synthetic piston seal?
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- August 3/4, 2024.........BOING!!

Brand new 35,s

Again very pleased it has been reborn I was also lucky enough to match up a cylinder and different back block to rebuild a .22 35 of mixed years made a nice rifle.picked up a NEW 35 just to look over yesterday little less wood on the front area of the stock did,nt have time to try it or check out sizes of the transfer port, was shocked to see the price £300 notes misses would,nt let me buy unless some of my others go .think will stick with the older ones seems more Weihrauch to me
    HW 97k s/s laminated stock.Hw 98k cs500 stock,CZ 457 varmint.Tika T3x Super Varmint 223 rem. an HW95k having sneaked back in Browning 725 12g sporter, pair of 525 sporters,SX3 Red Performance

....... Might get a new back block made.[/QUOTE]

You need to machine the back block seating edge by small increments until it fits snug ;-) it goes in a mm or so further but works......

BSA had the best idea with the Airsporter and Mercury, a separate thread in the block which can be adjusted to suit the action...

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Nice one, Matty!

Excellent result and another of these classic beauties lives again.

Out of interest, has the new cylinder got the smaller or larger diameter transfer port?

And are you running leather /synthetic piston seal?
    Hi Tony mate

The cylinder is of indeterminate age but the rear block had the double sided safety - not sure when this came in?

My gun is a 1979/80 with the 11mm rail but single sided safety so I was chuffed to be able to use the original rear block so the gun retains it's original appearance.

TP is about 3mm from the look of it; but I did not measure it

Cheers
    Matty

Are you running a synthetic piston seal with the smaller TP then, Matty.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- August 3/4, 2024.........BOING!!