Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Acceptable grouping size

Acceptable grouping size

Seen a few posts on here, and comments elsewhere about spring gun group size.
    Out of intrest what do you think is acceptable at what range?
    Currently been shooting the life out of my tuned longbow, and so far, it keeps up with prosports tuned, tx200s and hw80 reduced cylinder, it's not as slow recoil and does feel abit sharper, but the recoil is a thud and kiss straight back, it's made it so easy to shoot , it's .22 and lock time feels like a .177.. Today resting off a post me and a mate both stacked 3 pellets ontop of each other at 43 yards. We were stood in a boggy ditch, leaning into barbed wire fence resting off fence post. So I think it's achieve able of much much more.
    What do you lot think is acceptable, with what gun at what distances.
    Atb rob

I personally don't shoot sprinters too often, but when I do I can get a sub 1" group at 40 yards with a HW77K. Completely standard and none tuned etc.

I think this is acceptable, but it depends on what context? I would still use my PCP for hunting as I can get a 10mm group at 40 yards which is better than 25mm

A good rifle with suitable ammo should be capable of minute-of-angle centre-to-centre groups or better...

You have me a little confused ? You and your mate (guess you mean ,each of you) had 3 pellets stacked on top of each other at 43yds,an you want better, How?
    1 Rapid+sentinal n/v, 1 HW100+ Mamba lite

Quote Originally Posted by Bladerunner too View Post
    You have me a little confused ? You and your mate (guess you mean ,each of you) had 3 pellets stacked on top of each other at 43yds,an you want better, How?
    10 pellets stacked on top of each other of course.
    Viking Mk2 .177/.22 bullpup, BSA Scorpion SE .177, BSA Scorpion .25 100M gun, BSA Scorpion .224 100fpe 100M gun,
    Evanix Blizzard .257/.357 200M BR, Evanix Sniper X2 .45 at 270 fpe

With the wind changing so much we kept it to 3 shots instead if the usual 5.
    I don't want better than it, i just think in right conditions the distance could be pushed as long as the conditions were perfect and we were more comfortable than in a bog.
    Was just wondering what people thought, with what guns, what calibre etc. I like pushing the boundaries with any gun. Springers seem a lot more rewarding as shooting a pcp to 60-70 yards is relatively easy.

I must be a really shit shot lol.
    I could never stack 3 pellets on top of each other at 43 yards
    I think I need more practice.
    I have had so many top end tuned springers from lazaglide to vglide sfs stage 2 tunes
    Walther lg competition ultras I think I need someone to teach me how to shoot.
    I would be happy with results like that with my pcps steyr daystate target ect.

I think you should be happy with what you can achieve
    If you do that at 60 70 yards you can give me a lesson or two
    Atb
    David

Quote Originally Posted by valboskie View Post
    I must be a really shit shot lol.
    I could never stack 3 pellets on top of each other at 43 yards
    I think I need more practice.
    I have had so many top end tuned springers from lazaglide to vglide sfs stage 2 tunes
    Walther lg competition ultras I think I need someone to teach me how to shoot.
    I would be happy with results like that with my pcps steyr daystate target ect.

I think you should be happy with what you can achieve
    If you do that at 60 70 yards you can give me a lesson or two
    Atb
    David
    Heh heh you and me both must be bad shots because I couldn't either

Its all about repeatability isn't it. 10 times out of 10 every time you try to, not just once in a session but every time you pick up the gun. That's the standard. Size smaller than a 10p piece, distance is whatever it is that you can do the 10 out of 10 at. Simple as that.

3 shots stacked on top of each other? At 43yds? With a springer?

Bloody hell, you should get yourself down the HFT club, you'll clean up!
    Personally I'd be happy to get 3 shots in a cluster under 10mm ctoc at 43yds with my Ultra, which is a gun well known for being supremely accurate.
    Not wanting to sound skeptical but are you sure you did that?

Quote Originally Posted by riku View Post
    10 pellets stacked on top of each other of course.
    Of-course,, silly me
    1 Rapid+sentinal n/v, 1 HW100+ Mamba lite

I simplify my evaluation on this matter.

Acceptable 0.7-1" group at 40 yards
    Good 0.4-0.7 at the same distance (my average)
    Excellent 0.2-04" at 40 yards

This is with any good springer. Done 0.2" with my TX200 on a good day and seen over an inch with the same gun on a bad day.
    Would be good to see what is a standard kind of group size, achievable by any good springer with a good shot behind it!
    Marton

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by marci View Post
    I simplify my evaluation on this matter.

Acceptable 0.7-1" group at 40 yards
    Good 0.4-0.7 at the same distance (my average)
    Excellent 0.2-04" at 40 yards
    Sounds fair enough, with "good" being required for hunting.

It's an easy trap to fall into to shoot a few groups and get 'one' group of 3 or 5 pellets that are very close together and then claim that that is what you are capable of with that rifle.

You can watch videos on Youtube where someone shoots at a target at 45 yards or whatever. They put 3 pellets in a group where they are all touching. They then put the 4th 20mm away from the first 3 and then claim that that was a rogue pellet or they snatched that one. So they then shoot a 5th and 6th pellet, which land by the first 3. They then show you the target and put their thumb over the 'rogue' pellet and claim that they have just shot a 5 shot group that is less than a 5p piece, because you can 'ignore' that 6th shot. No you can't. They have shot a 6 shot group that is probably 30mm.

A few shots is pointless anyway. Say you have a rifle that you can group 50 pellets inside say 25mm at 40 yards. The pellets aren't all in a circle that is 25mm wide. They are all over the inside of that 25mm. Some will land pretty much on top of each other. So if you keep shooting 5 shot, or even better 3 shot, groups then you will get a group that is much much smaller than 25mm ... maybe 10mm or less. It's no point saying you can shoot a 5 shot or 3 shot " one hole " group with that rifle at 40 yards.

It's the size that you can keep, repeatedly, putting all of the pellets inside.

When I was shooting HFT and practising prone around once a week, I wanted all of my pellets, group after group, to be going inside a 20mm bull at 35 yards ( my zero ). I'd have some 5 shot groups that would be much better than that but if all the pellets over several groups were going inside that 20mm then I knew the rifle and pellets were ok and I was shooting quite well.

On a good day I'd put a 20mm kill target out at 35 yards and expect to knock it down everytime. I'd stretch that out to 40 yards and expect to knock it down pretty much every time.

I'd put a 15mm kill at 25 yards and again expect to hit it pretty much every time.

Not 3 out of 3 or 5 out of 5 but pretty much every shot out of 30 shots or more.

To be honest, that's just testing that the gun is shooting ok. Shooting rested prone in the comfort of a range is a different world to shooting targets on a course or hunting.

You and your mate shoot me 30 pellets at 43 yards resting on that post and tell me what the edge to edge measurements are ( take a tape and measure the 43 yards ).
    Last edited by bozzer; 12-11-2014 at 08:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 22airshooter View Post
    I personally don't shoot sprinters too often
    For new readers ... that's frowned upon by the police and will definitely get your gun tested.

I have always found that with a good consistent springer or pcp, it is the quality of the scope that reduces group sizes. The clearer the glass, finer the reticle and the higher the mag.