Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Record jumbo advice please!

This is for ormicron re the CHAMPION :

http://cinedux.com/record-air-pistols.php

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

As an owner of a Jumbo and a Champion I'm aware that spares for these are getting hard to come by. Some people have written to the Record (Fritz Barthelmes) Co. in Germany and been lucky enough to receive the odd spare part for these pistols but I think even they must be getting low by now. I've wondered if it would be possible to make a piston head that will take O-ring seals. As it's an elliptical piston it would have to be pretty much hand-made but if it could be made to seal ok and not sap power it might be worthwhile.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob M View Post
    As an owner of a Jumbo and a Champion I'm aware that spares for these are getting hard to come by. Some people have written to the Record (Fritz Barthelmes) Co. in Germany and been lucky enough to receive the odd spare part for these pistols but I think even they must be getting low by now. I've wondered if it would be possible to make a piston head that will take O-ring seals. As it's an elliptical piston it would have to be pretty much hand-made but if it could be made to seal ok and not sap power it might be worthwhile.
    Rob, that would be my aproach to the problem if it were my pistol.
    Pete.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob M View Post
    Thats a good idea, I could borrow gingernuts jumbo and make a complete new piston head for it from hard polyurethane (about 96 Shore A) with an O ring groove. Fit a nitrile ring and see how it goes. Could work very well. Just remembered my mate Baz has a Champion in bits I could borrow. Is it the same size piston head as Jumbo ?

Baz
    Last edited by Benelli B76; 21-01-2015 at 03:13 PM.

Do you have third party Jumbo insurance?

Baz, I believe the champion and jumbo use the same piston seal, might even share the same piston.
    Pete.

Record jumbo

Quote Originally Posted by Benelli B76 View Post
    Thats a good idea, I could borrow gingernuts jumbo and make a complete new piston head for it from hard polyurethane (about 96 Shore A) with an O ring groove. Fit a nitrile ring and see how it goes. Could work very well. Just remembered my mate Baz has a Champion in bits I could borrow. Is it the same size piston head as Jumbo ?

Baz
    I'm salivating at the thought!
    Let me know if you do decide to make more than 1
    I've emailed mauser and record in Germany.
    Mauser- no luck
    Record- awaiting a reply

Cheers
    Nick

Quote Originally Posted by gingernut View Post
    Do you have third party Jumbo insurance?
    Don't need to wreck yours now, Baz Champion already stuffed at the moment, will see him when I get back from funeral.

Baz

I'm up for a 5 ft lb Jumbo!

Chaps - I've had a wanted for a Jumbo Deluxe for a while - however, all these recent posts are putting me off. I've read also of issues with the screws corroding in the body (presumably galvanic corrosion?), complicated build and general crumbly nature of these things.

Should I still buy one? Are we only hearing about the small minority that have issues?
    Max; looking for: Baikal IZH 61 side lever rifle

Quote Originally Posted by felix gunner View Post
    Chaps - I've had a wanted for a Jumbo Deluxe for a while - however, all these recent posts are putting me off. I've read also of issues with the screws corroding in the body (presumably galvanic corrosion?), complicated build and general crumbly nature of these things.

Should I still buy one? Are we only hearing about the small minority that have issues?
    I have worked on several of these and I must say that the alloy used for the body is fairly fragile but then so is the Schimel. Of course the oval piston head and cylinder ard a problem come seal replacement time too.
    I do not find them particularly endearing myself, but others like them.
    Pete.

It is galvanic corrosion, around the screws that secure the breech plug in particular. The alloy can also get brittle eventually as well. My first one had cracks around the breech, which I thought was due to work hardening of the alloy, I suppose it could have been swelling due to corrosion around the screw threads that did it though as the alloy seemed to hold up ok around cocking linkage points.

Record jumbo

Nickos hi, I'm in the same position, just got a "Jumbo" for my collection and also would like to get hold of a piston seal; the rest of the 'service' parts apparently can be covered without much trouble. If you get any info on piston seals will you let me know and I will do likewise. Nice quirky little pistol though.
    Cheers abellringer

Thanks for the info Baz much appreciated.

Ormicron