Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What are the chances?

Quote Originally Posted by flatrajectory View Post
    Mick,
    Do you just want any Webley barrel that will fit or do you want the 'correct' barrel..?
    Pete.
    Well, as things stand I've got a bent knurled barrel. I was told at the weekend that if the pistols were returned to the factory they'd come back retro-fitted with a later barrel. My informant said that he'd bought pistols with an invoice to that effect and I've no reason to disbelieve him. For purely aesthetic reasons I would rather see it with the longer barrel.

So we're not much further on are we?

What do you have in mind?

ATVB, Mick
    When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns .

I've just happened across this excellent post: http://www.classicapa.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=590 with great photos of the prewar pistols, and showing the reduced diam' at the breech end of a mk1 barrel, compared to the MK2 Target barrel, as John describes.

I take it the MK2 Target's barrel receiving block is therefore machined a little wider in it's slot to accomodate the non-reduced MK2 Target barrel?

Therefore a MK1 barrel could well be a bit 'sloppy' in the MK2 barrel slot? And would always look conspicuous to the experienced eye

So, am I right in thinking that there were no later barrels (with grooved hand grip, and even later knurled ones) that have the extended forward length in the MK1/2 style?

Because if there were, and if the fittings were in the right place, it might be a simple job to machine off the raised groove/knurled area, to make an older 'looking' barrel

I'd think Mick, if you do have to go with a short-nosed knurled-grip barrel, it might at least be worth having it straightened and machined parallel then blued? And maybe even have a short front extension section brazed on nice and tight to the pivot/foresight strap!?

No expertise here, just some thoughts - Phil

Quote Originally Posted by walnutfarmmick View Post
    Well, as things stand I've got a bent knurled barrel. I was told at the weekend that if the pistols were returned to the factory they'd come back retro-fitted with a later barrel. My informant said that he'd bought pistols with an invoice to that effect and I've no reason to disbelieve him. For purely aesthetic reasons I would rather see it with the longer barrel.

So we're not much further on are we?

What do you have in mind?

ATVB, Mick
    Mick,
    A mate of mine has a .22 barrel from a pre war slant grip mk1. It has the ribbed ( not cross hatched) grip area and the reduced diameter at the breech block end. Just wondered if it would do. You could make a sleeve to solder over the reduced diameter at the breech end, and you could file off the ribs to make it smooth.
    Obviously not ideal but it would be shootable. I will send you a piccy.
    Pete.

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Rickenbacker View Post
    I've just happened across this excellent post: http://www.classicapa.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=590 with great photos of the prewar pistols, and showing the reduced diam' at the breech end of a mk1 barrel, compared to the MK2 Target barrel, as John describes.

I take it the MK2 Target's barrel receiving block is therefore machined a little wider in it's slot to accomodate the non-reduced MK2 Target barrel?

Therefore a MK1 barrel could well be a bit 'sloppy' in the MK2 barrel slot? And would always look conspicuous to the experienced eye

So, am I right in thinking that there were no later barrels (with grooved hand grip, and even later knurled ones) that have the extended forward length in the MK1/2 style?

Because if there were, and if the fittings were in the right place, it might be a simple job to machine off the raised groove/knurled area, to make an older 'looking' barrel

I'd think Mick, if you do have to go with a short-nosed knurled-grip barrel, it might at least be worth having it straightened and machined parallel then blued? And maybe even have a short front extension section brazed on nice and tight to the pivot/foresight strap!?

No expertise here, just some thoughts - Phil

Great photos, tried to register on there but failed to answer the silly colour question, after 6 different attempts, I lost the will