Thread: HW80 Tune and age IDing Help request

HW80 Tune and age IDing Help request

Gents,

I'm planning to open up the HW80T I picked up last week to try and work with a bit more depth what if anything has been done to it, this will effect what I do next as regards a restoration.

As noted before - Stock has been confirmed as 80's venom, miss match bluing action to barrel and up to a 30 year life could mean anything has been done to the action over the years and its almost evil to cock and previous owner admitted to re-springing it recently.

What am I looking for externally and then internally, in the way of clues and markers and non standard parts and machining as I play Sherlock Holmes.
    E.g. I recall on 77's pistons were typically blued on Venoms upper end of tunes, and you could look for button drag marks in the grease.
    Any similar tricks to ID'ing an 80 ?

Much as an enthusiastic teenager in the 1980s I opened up any air rifle I could lay my hands on, I've only done it once in the past couple of years, and may need a picture or video guide on this too.

Thanks in advance
    Harry
    Want List :
    HW55T - Found and I am now in love
    Pictures :

http://www.weihrauch-database.eu/thelist

Could this be a Sticky in this section?

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Thanks IJ, I'm aware of the serial no. and the HW serial no. date list - which essentially confirms the barrels age.
    As detailed, barrel and action may have not been an original pair, especially in a rifle of this vintage - looking at the more subtle differences over the years, e.g. time line for 2 and 3 arrestor holes etc.

As in the original post, the big hunt here however is IDing the tune - stock is Venom, but what was and is left of the original tune and customisation (if anything) is what I'm researching.

Advice, pointers, photo examples gratefully received

Cheers
    HH

earlier post outline of the new toy - http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....New-Toy-HW80-T
    Want List :
    Pictures :

Well, if the serial number list was of no help maybe the strip down will. http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Airs...?sort=6&page=1

HTH
    Ian
    Last edited by I. J.; 28-02-2015 at 06:40 PM.
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Thumbs up

Cheers Ivor

Any one got any pointers on IDing tune components as I try to confirm if the internals have any Venom bits left in them ?

Cheers
    HH
    Want List :
    Pictures :