Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Hw30s appreciation society

Thanks for the heads up on the s version.

Morning lads,
    So, ive read all the very positive comments on the Hw 30. Now my dilemma is as follows.
    For plinking , I use a mid 1950s Bsa Cadet Major .177, lovely sweet gun. I dont really want the same gun in a Weihrauch, so would the HW 99 be a better buy over the HW 30s ?
    I realise im digging a bit of a hole for myself , as the Weihrauch guns are miles ahead in technology over my old Cadet, but , as always, I value the opinions of my more learned shooters . What do you think ?

Quote Originally Posted by titan bearcat View Post
    Morning lads,
    So, ive read all the very positive comments on the Hw 30. Now my dilemma is as follows.
    For plinking , I use a mid 1950s Bsa Cadet Major .177, lovely sweet gun. I dont really want the same gun in a Weihrauch, so would the HW 99 be a better buy over the HW 30s ?
    I realise im digging a bit of a hole for myself , as the Weihrauch guns are miles ahead in technology over my old Cadet, but , as always, I value the opinions of my more learned shooters . What do you think ?
    Well if your cadet is a sweet shooting plinker and it's not on its last legs probably better to go for the HW99s,which has more power than the HW30s so it's a bit more versatile but if you decided you wanted less power from an HW99 I suppose you could always put a weaker spring in it.On the other hand if you're only going to plink with it you could always buy an HW30s in the alternative calibre to your Cadet.
    Last edited by Patrick 2; 15-02-2015 at 10:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post

I tried to take your advice, but accidentally ordered another 30s by mistake!

I've ordered one in .177 this time, maybe I can use this to tempt the .22 out of her grasp..
    Has your new baby arrived yet, Nick?
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- August 3/4, 2024.........BOING!!

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Has your new baby arrived yet, Nick?
    Yeah, arrived yesterday. I didn't have much time to experiment today but initial tests are promising. I may go down the shortened 99 spring route though as it's an easy way to mid power levels. What FPS are people getting with their .177's?
    My ignore list: ​<Hidden information>

What FPS are people getting with their .177's?

Yeah, arrived yesterday...I may go down the shortened 99 spring route though as it's an easy way to mid power levels. What FPS are people getting with their .177's?
    Chrono results from my HW30s .177

Pellet Av.fps ME ft/lbf
    Bisley Magnums 526 6.7
    JSB Exact 635 7.6
    Falcon Accuracy + 676 7.4

Quote Originally Posted by Rickenbacker View Post
    Is that a '99 or a '30 with lead-free pellets? Hyperdomes (5.5gr) at 780 would be a surprising 7.4ft/lb.

Quote Originally Posted by 18 Wheeler View Post

Is that a '99 or a '30 with lead-free pellets? Hyperdomes (5.5gr) at 780 would be a surprising 7.4ft/lb.

I reckon that's just young Phil having a bit of a laugh, Nick.

Something to do with the "magic numbers" thread some time ago, eh Phil?
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

And a lovely little, barely used, .177 30S joined the family last night.

Struggling for time now, will be back on later, but the owner had bought from a Dutch dealer, so should be over 6 out of the box?

Will get chance to play Sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    And a lovely little, barely used, .177 30S joined the family last night.
    ...so should be over 6 out of the box?
    Chrono results from two I tested last week. 10 shot averages, pellets straight from the tin:

HW30s .177 #1 #2
    JSB Exact 4.53 [ 8.44gr] fps ~
    M.Energy

Extreme Spread fps

JSB Express 4.52 [7.87gr] fps~
    M.Energy

Extreme Spread fps

Enjoy the littlun'

Sorry Nick

It was a flippant answer to "What FPS are people getting with their .177's?".

I think I was chrono'ing a HW95 at the time

In my defence, Tinbum often teases me first.

Chrono results from two I tested last week.

Enjoy the littlun'
    Thanks for that, Nick.

When I found out it was a Euro one, I guessed German, and that I'd have to get a UK spring or get a Vortek or similar. But, if it's a Dutch one, I'm guessing better not to mess with a more potent spring as, like you, I love the mild firing manners and have plenty of more powerful guns.

I'll chrono it on Sunday.

Then, come fettle time, I reckon a de-burr, polish and re-lube. And a little extra preload from the top hat to just help a little.

HW30S - Luverly

I now have the HW30S in 0.177 (it's the one that Tinbum had). I am really pleased with it. It is a delight to use - so light, easy to cock, smooth operation, quiet and near recoiless.

Although the rifle can be had from the continent at a bargain price, I am glad that I did not have to faff about to incorporate the various fixes.

I appreciate that individual specimens may vary, and some may be fine out of the box, but the potential issues pointed out by Hsing-ee certainly make one think twice about paying full wack for a new one in the UK.

I think it was left cocked because Johnny Foreigner couldn't figure out the safety catch!
    Christ sod that! My ocd would be doing somersaults to even contemplate some customs prat has had his mitts all over it, doing god knows what to it. I think I'd rather pay top rate or look for excellent used to be really honest. Derek

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    I've got the best looking HW30S in the country and no, you can't have a look.

The older HW30II has a longer stroke. I'm fitting mine with a Vortek seal and a Rekord, but not before I check the size of the TP...