Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: TFW Witness troubles

Quote Originally Posted by Rickenbacker View Post
    Well, I finally fixed the bugger! (probably, I've not completely properly tried it yet!).

Turns out that a BB had found it's way into the gas tube (the slidey plastic thingy in the top / back of the slide), causing havoc.

There was no way to get this BB out without removing the gas tube, and removing it's piston... only then did I get my hands on it.

Thanks to all the help in the above posts, but I couldn't find a youtube vid' that covers removing the flipping gas tube. However, luckily this Cybergun diagram pdf helped, and I was able to take the stupid thing apart. And more importantly, put it back together!

To anybody attempting to do this:
    If you don't lose the long thin spring "S02" -- Well done / lucky!
    If it takes you less than an hour of swearing to work out how / where "S02" goes back -- Well done 2

Next, I will be mostly doing Dremel micro-surgery on some walnut HW45 grips, to make them fit the terror from Taiwan...

ATB - Phil
    Nice one mate.

I have only just seen this topic or i could have helped you out solving and fixing the issue, but im glad you got it sorted yourself..

I dont agree with the guys that say stay away from co2 pistols and they are too much hard work and are too unreliable, because that is just not the case at all, you get can problems with anything on this planet and some things last longer then others etc, yup i have had some co2 airguns die or break quite quickly but i have also had some last many years and are a quality build.. I shot EVERYTHING, and i get the most fun from my co2 airguns..

Have a look at my pride and joy colt custom 1911, it started off as your gun, but has been fully polished and engraved..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWLPLOS1Cfs

Im sure you will be fine fitting the grips, but if you need any help let me know, im going to hopefully do a video on that at the weekend anyway..

All the best, marc..
    Last edited by Marc.RG1; 30-05-2015 at 07:58 PM.
    Some of my favourite guns in. You collection, Umarex Beretta 92fs - Colt Custom 1911 - Walther Lever Action - TM Hi-Capa Custom Build Project - Colt SAA .45 & many more..

Quote Originally Posted by Marc.RG1 View Post
    I dont agree with the guys that say stay away from co2 pistols and they are too much hard work and are too unreliable, because that is just not the case at all, you get can problems with anything on this planet and some things last longer then others etc, yup i have had some co2 airguns die or break quite quickly but i have only had some last many years and are a quality build.. I shot EVERYTHING, and i get the most fun from my co2 airguns..
    I agree chap, I've only had one CO2 Pistol that gave me problems and I got a refund for that (A KWC Luger that shot full auto, as did its replacement). I put it down to a bad batch and when buying one 4 months later from a different batch (Branded as a Gletcher Parabellum) it was fine. I've had a couple of things go wrong on my older pistols but nothing that has been unfixable without spares. I've never even had to replace a seal and my guns are always left gassed and some date from the 90s when CO2 came off ticket.

While I like the precision of my PCP rifles I get as much enjoyment from shooting tins with a CO2 BB gun, not quite the same as spitting brass and lead everywhere but a lot cleaner and cheaper to keep them fed.

When it comes to grips, my TFW has some mid 80s 1911A1 grips I had. They are easily adapted to fit without anyone being able to tell from the outside, you just have to remove enough material for the CO2 carts bulge.
    Great Deals with : Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick & Tich

Quote Originally Posted by Marc.RG1 View Post
    Nice one mate.

I have only just seen this topic or i could have helped you out solving and fixing the issue, but im glad you got it sorted yourself..

I dont agree with the guys that say stay away from co2 pistols and they are too much hard work and are too unreliable, because that is just not the case at all, you get can problems with anything on this planet and some things last longer then others etc, yup i have had some co2 airguns die or break quite quickly but i have also had some last many years and are a quality build.. I shot EVERYTHING, and i get the most fun from my co2 airguns..

Have a look at my pride and joy colt custom 1911, it started off as your gun, but has been fully polished and engraved..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWLPLOS1Cfs

Im sure you will be fine fitting the grips, but if you need any help let me know, im going to hopefully do a video on that at the weekend anyway..

All the best, marc..
    Cheers Marc

Wow, that gun of yours looks nice And clearly a lot of work's gone into it...

Well I fitted the HW45 DD grips, which was a bit of a game;
    http://i662.photobucket.com/albums/u...psxg6kgoxc.jpg
    http://i662.photobucket.com/albums/u...pssxy5gxol.jpg
    But I think it makes a huge improvment in feel and looks.

Personally I like the circa WW2 1911A1's fitted with the older style DD grips. Like this one:
    http://i662.photobucket.com/albums/u...psmexyjnir.jpg
    http://i662.photobucket.com/albums/u...ps0vzqhnkh.jpg
    The TFW doesn't look a lot diffrent to me, except for the modern white writing.
    Ideally I'd like it engraved with vintage Colt markings, and Parkerised. That would be cool.

It's still not working right though... Loading up with 8 BBs, sometimes it fires one - sometimes it doesn't... often it fires one but leaves a 2nd one rattling around in there...

And there's someting I'm not sure about with the hammer / firing pin:
    Without a mag in the gun - If I cock the hammer back, then slowly release the hammer forward to de-cock, the hammer sits all the way forward like it should:
    http://i662.photobucket.com/albums/u...pstib4ppdm.jpg
    But if I do that with a Co2 charged mag in the gun - the hammer sits at about half-cock:
    http://i662.photobucket.com/albums/u...pshlbpiwcc.jpg
    Hammer resting on the firing pin, which is resting on the Co2 valve button.
    Is that normal?

Quote Originally Posted by blooregard View Post
    I agree chap, I've only had one CO2 Pistol that gave me problems and I got a refund for that (A KWC Luger that shot full auto, as did its replacement). I put it down to a bad batch and when buying one 4 months later from a different batch (Branded as a Gletcher Parabellum) it was fine. I've had a couple of things go wrong on my older pistols but nothing that has been unfixable without spares. I've never even had to replace a seal and my guns are always left gassed and some date from the 90s when CO2 came off ticket.

While I like the precision of my PCP rifles I get as much enjoyment from shooting tins with a CO2 BB gun, not quite the same as spitting brass and lead everywhere but a lot cleaner and cheaper to keep them fed.

When it comes to grips, my TFW has some mid 80s 1911A1 grips I had. They are easily adapted to fit without anyone being able to tell from the outside, you just have to remove enough material for the CO2 carts bulge.
    Modding HW45 grips isn't quite as easy:
    As well as re-shaping for the Co2 bulge, safety spring housing and mag release. There's rebating for the flanges around the raised collars for the grip screws.
    That left around 1mm depth of wood for holding the grips on. And when the grips sit on there flush, the collars are standing proud of the job, so I had to fettle 4 split washers to fit around the tops of the collars - otherwise the grips would be loose.

So the HW45 grips will go on a TFW - But only just!

Does the real 1911A1 have those raised threaded collars? Or are the threads cut flush into the frame like on a HW45?

It's still not working right though... Loading up with 8 BBs, sometimes it fires one - sometimes it doesn't... often it fires one but leaves a 2nd one rattling around in there...

And there's someting I'm not sure about with the hammer / firing pin:
    Without a mag in the gun - If I cock the hammer back, then slowly release the hammer forward to de-cock, the hammer sits all the way forward like it should:
    http://i662.photobucket.com/albums/u...pstib4ppdm.jpg
    But if I do that with a Co2 charged mag in the gun - the hammer sits at about half-cock:
    http://i662.photobucket.com/albums/u...pshlbpiwcc.jpg
    Hammer resting on the firing pin, which is resting on the Co2 valve button.
    Is that normal?

Modding HW45 grips isn't quite as easy:
    As well as re-shaping for the Co2 bulge, safety spring housing and mag release. There's rebating for the flanges around the raised collars for the grip screws.
    That left around 1mm depth of wood for holding the grips on. And when the grips sit on there flush, the collars are standing proud of the job, so I had to fettle 4 split washers to fit around the tops of the collars - otherwise the grips would be loose.

So the HW45 grips will go on a TFW - But only just!

Does the real 1911A1 have those raised threaded collars? Or are the threads cut flush into the frame like on a HW45?
    The 1911A1 frame does have the raised collars. I imagine the HW45 doesn't as it does not need to worry about screw threads protruding in the magazine well.

The hammer problem you are seeing is quite normal, as far as I know they all do it.

For the firing issues you are having, I've seen the same behaviour when a BB is trapped in the blowback cylinder and alters its timing\behaviour, but you have already cleared this (worth another check?)
    Great Deals with : Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick & Tich

Quote Originally Posted by blooregard View Post
    The 1911A1 frame does have the raised collars. I imagine the HW45 doesn't as it does not need to worry about screw threads protruding in the magazine well.
    That makes perfect sense

The hammer problem you are seeing is quite normal, as far as I know they all do it.
    Hrm... more about this when I get back later...

For the firing issues you are having, I've seen the same behaviour when a BB is trapped in the blowback cylinder and alters its timing\behaviour, but you have already cleared this (worth another check?)
    Yep, I think so... those BBs can and will get everywhere and anywhere...

Thanks - Phil

hi rick, thats a lot mate, my polished 1911 is my pride and joy pistol.

I too also like the double diamond wood grips, i will end up with a set of those one day, lol i think i have 5 sets of grips so far for my 1911's.. you did a good job fitting your wood grips they do look nice on the pistol.

It you want a 1911 with engraved with vintage Colt markings and Parkerised looking finish, have a look at my 1911 he is selling, it sounds right up your street mate, and its much better quality then our KWC 1911's are..

http://umarexboysclubforum.myfinefor...hp?f=4&t=19591

yeah dont sound your having much luck with your TFW mate, you know what i have never tried decocking my 1911 when its powered up with co2, i got told once that they can still fire when you try and and the slide wants to take your finger off haha so i have never tried it, but im guessing it could be normal because of the fake firing pin design, its a bit of a shame these pistols can not half cock as well like the real 1911 or even better replicas like the airsoft versions.
    Some of my favourite guns in. You collection, Umarex Beretta 92fs - Colt Custom 1911 - Walther Lever Action - TM Hi-Capa Custom Build Project - Colt SAA .45 & many more..

Hi Marc,

Afraid I don't have a login for the UBC so I can't view that 1911. Is it a Umarex version?

Thanks for the advice on the decocking / firing pin issue with the TFW guys I think I can see exactly what's going on there now:

The thing that still bothered me, was what happens when I fit a mag into the uncocked pistol (slide forward, hammer forward)...

Due to the design, the metal co2 valve pin can't pass the metal firing pin if the hammer is forward. So why doesn't slapping a mag into the uncocked gun try to snap the firing pin or the valve pin - whichever is the weaker...?

Well it doesn't, because the firing pin assembly cleverly pivots at the rear, and is spring loaded. Therefore the front of the firing pin is pushed upwards a few mm's to cure that problem

So what happens is: If I fit a mag into the uncocked gun, the front of the firing pin lifts and sits on top of the valve pin - until the pistol is cocked. Once cocked, the firing pin takes it's usual place behind and inline with the valve pin.

Therefore decocking the hammer with a co2 charged mag in the gun, presses the firing pin against the valve pin, leaving the hammer sitting around half-cocked... and as Marc says above, that (or 'that' plus a bit of extra pressure on the hammer) could release co2, fire the pistol, and have the slide slamming back into your thumb.

So if you want to decock - The way around it is: Press the mag release. Remove the mag (or let the mag drop by half an inch or more). Then decock the hammer. Then put the mag back in!

It follows that if you're storing the pistol with an empty mag fitted - You could be putting it away with the co2 valve held fully open - Depending on whether you inserted the mag then released the hammer - or released the hammer before inserting the mag!

This is one of the most complicated to operate airguns I've had - But it is great! - And now I've also cured the stray BB problem, it's really fun to shoot as well...

Yes, the random BB's were my fault. Finger / brain sync trouble. You'd think I'd have known, especially as I also have a 9mm. But in my defence, my 'nine' has an extractor... and bigger 'shells'!

ATB - Phil

.....It follows that if you're storing the pistol with an empty mag fitted - You could be putting it away with the co2 valve held fully open - Depending on whether you inserted the mag then released the hammer - or released the hammer before inserting the mag!
    That is an interesting point; the latter seems the best method.