Thread: Webley Mk1, Premier box valuation please.

Webley Mk1, Premier box valuation please.

I have in my possession a lovely wee Mk1 in .22 and the box it came in, a Webley Premier box, for valuation.
    These belong to my friend who has had them in his cupboard for years, and he has kindly promised me a bottle of whiskey if I get a good price for them.

The Mk1 is serial number 126 which matches both the frame and the end cap, these are the only numerical markingss on the entire pistol, apart from .22Mk1 on the barrel lug.
    The bluing is good and is only detracted by some slight rusting visible on the right hand side of the pistol. The right hand grip also has some slight denting to the 'checquering'.
    The barrel is straight and the rifling is clean and shallow. Everything seems to be in good order.
    one
    two

Next is the box. Im assuming this is an original as my friend has had it for along time, and it certainly looks the part. There is also a few wasps and some darts in the tin. The box has a few bits of damaged as you can see in the pics, but overall is very sturdy and stable at the corners.
    one
    two
    three
    four
    five
    six

Hopefully some of you Webley wobbly aficionados will be along to give me a valuation on what we have here.

thanks
    Donald
    Donald

Hi Donald,

The Mark I looks like a used but honest example without too much wear. Nice to see undamaged grips. I'd hazard a value of approx £100 for the pistol.

The Premier box is a few years later than the pistol and would have been made after the Mark I had been discontinued. There is some wear apparent and there is a similar box on the bay at the moment, so you may want to keep an eye on it to gauge a value.

Hope that helps.

Kind regards,

John

Hi Donald,

As separate items, I would estimate the Mk1 at £100-£120 and the later Premier box in the condition pictured at £30-£40. I wouldn't expect the pellets and darts to add too much to this.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Brian

Thank you guys. Much appreciate responses from 2 of the forums foremost wobbly experts!
    I'll see the owner, and it should be up for sale by the weekend.
    What's the thoughts on selling as a lot or separately? I would rather sell as a single lot as it's less hassle for me, but the owner is trying to get as much as he can for them - he needs funds for a new gambeson and helmet!
    Last edited by thisisdonald; 29-07-2015 at 04:18 PM.
    Donald

I forgot to ask.. What is the estimated year of manufacture on this pistol?
    Donald

harry mac is offline You can't say muntjack without saying mmmmm
    Sell separately. Because they don't belong together, niether will add any value to the other.
    The South of England has 2 good things, the M1 and the A1. Both will take you to Yorkshire.

Quote Originally Posted by thisisdonald View Post
    I forgot to ask.. What is the estimated year of manufacture on this pistol?
    Hi Donald,

As you are probably aware, post-war Webely pistols didn't carry Ser Nos so exact dating is difficult. However, as the trade address on the side of the pistol contains the Birmingham 4 postal code, this would indicate that it was produced before 1958 when the company moved to another part of Birmingham and dropped the post code.

I would advise selling the pistol and box separately as they don't belong together and would probably only be of interest to different buyers.

Regards

Brian

OK guys, separate it is, and thanks for the extra info. Much appreciated.
    Donald