Quote Originally Posted by phil384 View Post
Apologies for resurrecting the thread but:

I now have the .243 Lee Loader (£33 on amazon), mallet (I guess we all have one of these!), micrometer to measure case length, lee primer pocket tool.

Before I go and buy my powder, bullets, cases and primers do I NEED anything else? I know I could go to town with tumblers etc etc.

Do I really need a chamfer tool too? Or scales? Is the powder scoop not accurate enough if I'm consistent using it? I've seen several videos where none of that stuff is used and the rounds seem to come out OK. Please bear in mind I'm not target shooting just game shooting.

And how long should the complete round be when finished?

Once I've got the hang of this lark, I've got the .308 to think about

Er....woss the mallet for?

Thanks guys, looks like I've been sucked into the dark and mysterious world you all inhabit
You have everything you need to make a start.

Chamfer tool is no biggie.

Over time you might need a case length trimmer as they stretch a little each time they are loaded/used.

Scales: well the problems with scoops are:

1) Quite difficult to use with a consistency which would compare with a weighed load (in fact probably impossible).

2) If you want to develop a load which is as accurate as possible then you will probably find that the sweet spot is not one of the scoop sizes but somewhere in between. Accuracy is not only for target shooting, most hunters want the best accuracy they can achieve so that they have the best chance of a humane kill (or can shoot at longer ranges with confidence).

Completed cartridge length: This can be a deep subject and not all rifles like the same length. I expect a rifle shootist will be along to provide advice on this, but for starters, SAAMI publish specifications for cartridge and chamber dimensions including a max cartridge length. This is sure to be a safe size (unless you have a massively under length chamber, which is very unlikely). Shooters do tune to greater (or shorter) lengths, but this is not for the beginner as getting it badly wrong can spoil your day and/or your rifle. In some rifles this has a significant effect on accuracy, less so in others.

Work up to max loads carefully, checking for signs of overpressure before increasing the load again.