Thread: HW80 safety catch

HW80 safety catch

After rebuilding a 30 year old HW80 I found the safety catch not working too well.
    On loading, the catch springs into position, but on pushing into the firing position it 'bounces' back about 1mm and stops you firing, but then only fires if you push the safety right in, firing without touching the trigger! I assume it's something to do with the bent in corner on the top of the trigger assembly, if you know what I mean. It's as if the safety doesn't go right over and stay there, l can't see what to do to rectify it other than dispense with the safety altogether.
    Any suggestions? Many thanks, Dave
    BSA First batch, Breakdown, Cadet major, Meteors, Mercurys, Airsporters, Supersport, Superstar, Lightning XL, HW80, Logun S16 mk1, Webley Junior rifle, Relum Tornado, Webley mk1 pistol, ASI Centre pistol, Crosman Medalist 1322.

From memory, the aligment of the safety catch rebates in the rekord trigger housing is critical to its correct operation.
    As you suggest, dispensing with the safety is always an option.

The safety needs to be free to revolve/move in the end block. Is it bent? Is the little spring greased? As the o.p states the little end tang (see photo) on a Rekord unit effects the safety catch.

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Airs...l?sort=6&o=137

HTH
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Try a softer shorter spring, if its too long it might be getting spring bound and pushing the safety button back under pressure. One out of a pen is fine. Chances are its not original to the gun. The little tab on the trigger unit is there purely to stop the safety popping out of the gun altogether.
    fozzy

Did you struggle to re-assemble the trigger ? Always assemble the trigger in the "cocked" position. When fully assembled fire the trigger before you try and cock the barrel for the first time.

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Looks like he has given up on us.

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Hi everybody, I found in the end that the tang on the trigger unit that engages the safety catch had been bent back towards the unit just enough for the catch not to engage properly. A little bit of trial and effort and it is now working ok! It's strange how for some reason I keep thinking it won't work so am being very careful at the moment!
    Many thanks for all your input, the biro spring worked fine, ( I'm sure other makes of springs are available)!
    Dave
    BSA First batch, Breakdown, Cadet major, Meteors, Mercurys, Airsporters, Supersport, Superstar, Lightning XL, HW80, Logun S16 mk1, Webley Junior rifle, Relum Tornado, Webley mk1 pistol, ASI Centre pistol, Crosman Medalist 1322.