Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Are these pellets all that rare?

Quote Originally Posted by ccdjg View Post
    And to think that I got a 130 year old, near mint and very rare Champion gallery pistol for less than those pellets (even including auctioneer's charges) at the recent Newcastle auction.

I only hope that David Swan's executors did not scrap his vintage pellet collection and will be putting them in the December auction!
    Hi you had a real bargain with the Champion. bet you would not swap it for the box of pellets

Quote Originally Posted by Lakey View Post
    Ha Ha..Bet you wont be shooting them now
    The thought had crossed my mind

Coincidentally whilst researching something else this afternoon, I noticed Beatall pellets were the most expensive brand offered by the NSRA during the late 1950s by quite a margin at 7/2 per 1000 in .177. The cheapest were I.C.I. Wasp at 3/ per 500 in .177, which seems strange. BSA Pylarms and Webley Specials were both priced at 6/1 per 1000.

I have special fondness for Beatalls as they were the very first pellets I ever bought in 1978.

John

harry mac is offline You can't say muntjack without saying mmmmm
    I never liked Beatall pellets, they were always the cheapest when I first started shooting in about 1976, and didn't seem very high quality. In the village where I grew up you could buy pellets in the bike shop (beatall), a small sports shop (Marksman), one of the barbers' shops (Webley, BSA and Eley), a toy shop, a hardware shop and one of the green grocers' (the last three all stocked Bull Dog, but you could also get Lanes' Heavyweight in the grocer's shop).
    A box of 200 Marksman .22 was 20p, 200 Beatall .22 were 18p. At the time, my pocket money was 50p a week, which got me 200 pellets, a "war book" (Commando or War Picture Library comic), with enough left over for either a few sweets, or I could save up the change and buy myself an Airfix kit every couple of weeks.
    In my man cave/gun room I've got one of the small boxes of .177 Beatalls, I might just have to get them up on the Bay. I'd say "a fool and his money", but any fool is more than welcome to give me £150 for my little box of Beatalls.
    The South of England has 2 good things, the M1 and the A1. Both will take you to Yorkshire.

Quote Originally Posted by Lakey View Post
    Still going up.........£161.99 with 3.5hrs to go. Looks like it might do the £200.00

Lakey
    Looks like I may have put the mockers on things as there werent many other bids after I posted above. The item was keen fought over by two people, so just in the best auction traditions, the price shot up to the heights. Plainly this was different from the run of the mill Beatall boxes. I have to say, I do find these colourful pellet boxes very attractive and they take me straight back to my youth. Evocative stuff indeed .

Lakey

Quote Originally Posted by Binners View Post
    Don't worry Mate, there will be loads on dbay after this
    You're right,theres one on already ,for buy it now £150.00

Quote Originally Posted by terr james View Post
    You're right,theres one on already ,for buy it now £150.00
    Is that not the same one?

Or a box very much like it.

ccdjg is offline Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe
    Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    Is that not the same one?

Or a box very much like it.
    Same version of the box, but different seller. Obviously he saw what the other box went for and jumped straight in with a £150 buy-it-now price. Unfortunately for him, three other sellers have had the same idea but with more realistic starting bids of about £5-10. I have a suspicion that
    the market for £100+ Beatall pellets is about to become saturated! Perhaps not the best of investments for the first buyer?