Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: VCR Rant...

harry mac is offline You can't say muntjack without saying mmmmm
    Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post

The VCR act is another example of ill thought out legislation passed by half wits without paying any attention to shooting associations and businesses who end up having to work within the realms of the act. I don't think those intent on breaking the law have been in the least affected.

John
    I hope you'll forgive me for saying so, but that's a little naiive. The legislation hasn't been "ill thought out" or had "unplanned consequences". It was designed from the out set to make things difficult for shooters and to drive firms out of business, or at least seriously curtail the sale of "guns".
    The powers that be don't see legitimate athletes, responsible people enjoying a popular pass-time, sportsmen feeding their families or even bonafide wildlife mangers and conservationists. All they see is "people with guns"; and they don't like it.
    The South of England has 2 good things, the M1 and the A1. Both will take you to Yorkshire.

Quote Originally Posted by harry mac View Post
    I hope you'll forgive me for saying so, but that's a little naiive. The legislation hasn't been "ill thought out" or had "unplanned consequences". It was designed from the out set to make things difficult for shooters and to drive firms out of business, or at least seriously curtail the sale of "guns".
    The powers that be don't see legitimate athletes, responsible people enjoying a popular pass-time, sportsmen feeding their families or even bonafide wildlife mangers and conservationists. All they see is "people with guns"; and they don't like it.
    Hi Harry,

Do you know, I think you're right? Very naive of me to think otherwise in hindsight. After all, all U.K. firearms legislation from 1920 onwards has had the express intention of relieving more and more of the British public with guns of any description. Even toys have red muzzles for goodness sake!

John

I agree with almost everything that's been said on this thread. But in a strange way I've come round to thinking the hopeless VCR Act is far preferable to something much worse and might even have been helpful in preventing it!

The VCR is a ridiculous piece of law-making in many ways, and yes, it was inspired by people who have no sympathy whatever for law-abiding shooters and seek only to do us harm. Also, it has doubtless caused no end of inconvenience and cost, with little or no gain in law and order terms.

But... for the past nine years I think it has probably also fended off attempts to impose much tighter restrictions by giving the antis the sense they have achieved something in limiting transactions with the gun trade to face to face, and forcing dealers to keep registers of buyers. Meanwhile, it has had virtually no effect on those of us who conduct private transactions here or abroad, especially in relation to pre-1939 airguns.

My thinking is that if only every piece of firearms legislation could be so ineffectual!

This is not to say that in any way I support more gun laws, of course...
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

One of the many reasons why people are buying from abroad!! As with most laws in this country they don't address the reasons why they were brought in!

Quote Originally Posted by micky View Post
    Silly laws that was brought in by people who think they know best.
    They do know best. Best way to control our lives

Derek

One of our members is a S5 dealer who can quite legitimately acquire hundreds of real 9mm pistols and machine guns etc.

Even that piece of paper doesnt trump the VCR act as he found out when he tried to buy a black plastic airsoft pistol for his son.

Its all mental