Thread: Cadet Major

Cadet Major

I have one in great condition. I have put it over my chrono and it is 1.99ft lbs !
    What should it be and where do I start?

Make sure the barrel is clear, then cock it.

Wrap a tissue, or some bog-roll round the breech.

Seal the muzzle with your thumb and fire.

If the tissue blows off, the breech seal is goosed.

If in makes a dull thud but tissue remains in place, then breech seal and piston seal are ok, but mainspring is tired.

If it makes a loud noise, then the piston seal is goosed.

I would never put any part of my body on the muzzle when firing. The golden rule attitude is "the gun is always loaded" and treat it as such. With this in mind a lot of people would have not been injured in the past. You can still do the test mentioned by just loading the rifle as normal with a pellet and put the paper over the breach. If the paper jumps when firing you have a leak at the breach seal.

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

The other golden rule is "never put your fingers where you wouldny put your willy"
    Put 2 or 3 drops of linseed oil or even some 3 in 1 down the transfer port and let it stand for a couple days. Try it again. Repeat. Its most likely the owner has not been taking care of the leather seal.
    Donald

ggggr is offline part time super hero and seeker of justice
    To add to what others have said, there should be a strip down in the "idiots guide" sticky at the top of the page.
    These guns are not powerful even when running well ( I think somewhere between 5 and 7 fllb on a previous thread on here?).
    On the old guns, you can have a tired or broken mainspring, knackered piston washer or breech seal, or a combination of all 3. Often the piston washer has been soaked with mineral oil over the years and has rotted. Even if it they look ok, if they smell of old engine oil, they are knackered. Breech seals can rot as well but are often just flattened by years of use, although they may be dry.
    I have sorted quite a few old gun, that would not push a pellet out, by just fitting a breech seal.
    When you cock the gun, does it make any horrible noises? If it does, then the mainspring may be broken. When you shoot the gun does it feel "harsh" or "thunky". If it just feels a bit harsh, then it is likely to be the breech seal and if it feels "thunky" , with a bit of a noise, then the piston washer is likely to be knackered. I have known an old gun where the piston washer had stuck to the end of the cylinder and come away from the piston.
    These guns SHOULD strip easily, but sometimes the trigger block can be a bit of a bugger to undo and the nut holding the piston washer on can be a bugger as well, but not as bad if you are not reusing the washer.
    They are lovely fun guns to plink with.
    Cooler than Mace Windu with a FRO, walking into Members Only and saying "Bitches, be cool"

Cadet- Major

Did the tissue test with no result implying seal fine. It does look a bit shallow though. The whole gun is very smooth and in such good nick that I would like it to be as right as possible. Will strip it down.