Thread: MK1 Weihrauch HW85

MK1 Weihrauch HW85

So where does the HW85 figure in the line up?
    I've had one (.22 K) stashed away a good 20 years and just fetched it out having returned to vintage air gunning after a long break.
    I never see them mentioned, other versions but not these.
    What's the thoughts on the model, good, bad, likes, dislikes, pro's cons etc? Value even.

Hi Steve,

I think you mean MK1 HW85, the one with the raised scope rail and solid end block?...

I had one years ago and, for me, it is the best airgun ever made by Weihrauch!...just a lighterweight version of the HW80 with a reduced cylinder size, the forerunner of the HW95...I think?

They are a better gun than the modern HW85/95 because it retained the machined end block rather than that awful setup they use now.

Pros, they are just nice to shoot, especially in .22

Cons...dunno, no personal experiences because my old 85 ran like a charm, but I think there was some issues with the cut out piston design?...seem to remember that the top of the piston was machine away to clear the scope rail lugs on the inside rear of cylinder?...and this may have caused some problems with some guns?...
    blah blah

After Weihrauch took over BSF they carried on producing and developing the BSF 55,

The New Model 55 was the first reincarnation,

The HW85 is the second reincarnation of the 55,

The third reincarnation being the HW95.

All the best Mick

Hw85

Hi Steve, i have a MK1 Venom tuned .22 and must admit i love it. Smooth to cock and very accurate, surpassed my expectations.

Thanks, Dave & Mick,
    Mk 1 I guess then due to it's age (over 25yr plus I reckon, as I've had it well over 20 myself and wasn't new when I got it) and has solid end and raised rail as suggested too.
    Also has Hull Cartridge Co stamped on the barrel ahead of the model details.
    Shame I laid it up for most of that time, preserved it though at least.

Lovely rifle the one they should have continued.
    Released in 1986 the MK1 version although no official mark from HW had the very plain beech stock with angular for end like a MK1 80 no checkering & no cheek piece.The De lux version came later with long for end checkering & cheek piece like the MK1 77.
    Then what i call MK11 came with same action & standardised stock like the 95 which had checkering on pistol grip,cheek piece but the shorter for end.
    In all 4 stocks the other being the MK1 but with checkered pistol grip.

Quote Originally Posted by landymick View Post
    Lovely rifle the one they should have continued.
    Released in 1986 the MK1 version although no official mark from HW had the very plain beech stock with angular for end like a MK1 80 no checkering & no cheek piece.The De lux version came later with long for end checkering & cheek piece like the MK1 77.
    Then what i call MK11 came with same action & standardised stock like the 95 which had checkering on pistol grip,cheek piece but the shorter for end.
    In all 4 stocks the other being the MK1 but with checkered pistol grip.
    And the MK1 HW85 action drops straight into a later 85, 95 or 98 stocks as well.

All the best Mick

Thanks for the added info, I wonder how many were carbine v's regular? mine is a K which I always took to be carbine but it doesn't seem a particularly short gun, barrel is 41cm or a tad over16"
    I won't see daylight until the week end and may take and post pics then.

I have one tuned by Tony Wall pre SFS, in a Gary Caine stock. Its stunning. Must have had it for 25 years, and still shoots as well today as when i bought it.

Quote Originally Posted by stevegv8 View Post
    Thanks for the added info, I wonder how many were carbine v's regular? mine is a K which I always took to be carbine but it doesn't seem a particularly short gun, barrel is 41cm or a tad over16"
    I won't see daylight until the week end and may take and post pics then.

Marvellous gun, and still to many "just an old Weihrauch" with the potential to be picked up fairly cheap.

If it mirrored the 80, the rifle was 19-20" barrel, and the "carbine" 16ish.