Thread: Match rifle stock maintenance...

Match rifle stock maintenance...

Advice required on what product, process or treatment to use to refresh / refurb the black stippled grip area or forend on match rifles? Thanks
    https://www.walnut.black

Is it
    (A) of no interest
    (B) no one knows
    (C) a trade secret
    (D) can't be Bothered!
    https://www.walnut.black

might be that the question was not understood fully,is it a wood stock and the black stippling is where some finish has socked in and gone black?.if this is the case and it's faded/worn a bit you could rub in a bit of linseed or similar,that would freshen it up.

GSMN1,

The only match rifle that I have had, that had 'blackened' stippling, was my Walther LG90.

My FWB300 & Diana 75, both have 'plain' stippling. For these, I use artists paint brush to apply linseed oil, let in soak in and wipe off excess.

I used to clean the stippling on the LG90 with a very soft children's toothbrush, moistened with linseed oil, then wipe off all excess.

I don't know what finish they used for the 'blackening', so I don't know what you could use to do repairs

Have fun

Best regards

Russ

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.
    I use boiled linseed on my non varnished stocks and pistol grips when they require attention, can be a bit messy wipping of the excess on stippled parts as you end up with the cloth fibres stuck to it, then use a stiff brush to remove those.
    Most modern ones have a matt coating and just need light scrub with soapy water to clean.
    Robin
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?