Quote Originally Posted by trevor1 View Post
future "collectables" is,they are all being bought and carefully stored and the buyer would have to be a thousand years old to get back more than half he spent on the darn item.Much of the pleasure of collecting is lost if an item is bought with a view to selling it on. And remember,"quality remains long after price is forgotten"-not sure why I put this in-maybe because it is a motto of auction houses?
Very true Trevor.

We are fortunate in that our hobby allows us to regain our stake and occasionally make a small profit if we buy wisely in the first place. You cannot say the same about other sports, even target shooting. I have sometimes paid over and above the 'going rate' whatever that is but the pleasure of owning a rarity exceeds the expenditure in some cases. Many would say I was daft in paying several hundred pounds for a pre WW1 Book of the BSA Air Rifle but it was the only original I have ever seen for sale and way more attractive to me than say a painting costing thousands. The occasional bargain balances the gun fund out, such as a pre WW1 BSA booklet on sights I bought through that auction site last weekend for £20 posted from Australia!

John