Thread: Blackriders' FWB 300s!!

Smile Blackriders' FWB 300s!!

Hi all

My mate John (Blackrider) Bought a southpaw mod 300s, The timber was extremely dark so I offered to refinish it a bit lighter for him!

When i'd removed all the varnish/stain it was very very white, The walmut stain I had was rather grey!(Years old!!) Anyhow, John had some but when I applied it, It was as dark as the the original stuff so I had to remove some of it, Trying to get rid of the blotchyness whilst trying to keep a nice mid walnut colour was the very devil!!

I used his grain sealer too as i'd ran out (It had set in the bottle!! ) It only needed six or seven rubs of Welsh Willy's Tung based oil for a nice finish...

Some pics, Not sure if it's better or not!

Before..

Pic 1

Pic 2

Pic 3

Pic 4

The grain was pretty non existent but after I rubbed the stain back, It left some in the pores of the wood which gave a nice effect, Not sure if the camera has picked it up though!!

After the treatment

Pic 1

Pic 2

Pic 3

Pic 4

Pic 5

Pic 6

Cheers, John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Very nice john. Looks like a good job to me.
    Donald

Looks a lot better now, yes these guns can be dark but this one certainly was at the darker than dark end of the scale.
    **WANTED**: WEBLEY PATRIOT MUZZLE END; Any Diana/Original mod.50 parts, especially OPEN SIGHTS

Lovely; excellent job, John.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- August 3/4, 2024.........BOING!!

[QUOTE=johnbaz;6989112]Hi all

My mate John (Blackrider) Bought a southpaw mod 300s, The timber was extremely dark so I offered to refinish it a bit lighter for him!

When i'd removed all the varnish/stain it was very very white, The walmut stain I had was rather grey!(Years old!!) Anyhow, John had some but when I applied it, It was as dark as the the original stuff so I had to remove some of it, Trying to get rid of the blotchyness whilst trying to keep a nice mid walnut colour was the very devil!!

I used his grain sealer too as i'd ran out (It had set in the bottle!! ) It only needed six or seven rubs of Welsh Willy's Tung based oil for a nice finish...

Before..

Pic 1

Pic 2

Pic 3

Pic 4

The grain was pretty non existent but after I rubbed the stain back, It left some in the pores of the wood which gave a nice effect, Not sure if the camera has picked it up though!!

John, what was the order of play between stain and grain filler? I had read that grain filler stops stain and there appear to be a lot of conflicting views. Just in simplest terms could you please joy down the process stages in order to help me? Thanks G
    https://www.walnut.black

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    John has put a great amount of time and effort into the stock and I'm really pleased with the end result and thank him accordingly !
    What the "before" pics don't really show was the amount of small dings and scratches present as befitting a gun of almost 40 years of age !
    John has managed to remove these and has already has been said, the original stock was extremely dark.
    We did "hit it" with a very dark stain but the end result was almost "black" so most of that was removed.
    I think the end result shows an amount of character as befitting a gun of this age !

Well done Johnbaz and Thankyou !

John.
    “An airgun or two”………

Smile

[QUOTE=GSMN1;6989232]
    Quote Originally Posted by johnbaz View Post
    Hi all

Before..

Pic 1

Pic 2

Pic 3

Pic 4

John, what was the order of play between stain and grain filler? I had read that grain filler stops stain and there appear to be a lot of conflicting views. Just in simplest terms could you please joy down the process stages in order to help me? Thanks G
    Hi G

The stain was the first thing I applied after completely removing the original finish, I applied a couple of layers of alkanet root oil then the grain filler, The grain filler was from Johns and was very thick, Completely different to Wills Shelac based filler, Somehow it didn't fill the grain as much as Will's stuff did (I gave it two coats as I normally do with a wire wool rub after each), The oil followed, I applied seven coats, it doesn't need any more..

By the way, This stock was very light and open pored, It seemed to have harder, more dense areas along with softer parts, Almost like the growth of the tree was better in some years and worse in the following!!

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/