Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lincoln Jeffries Memorial

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    Wouldn't surprise me Danny The man still deserves a blue plaque though. If you look at the Black Museum in Birmingham, there is virtually nothing on the old Gun Quarter, never mind that it employed scores of people who produced world class products, which were then sold around the world.

John
    "They" were trying to rename the gun making quarter last year !
    "helplessly they stare at his tracks......."

Quote Originally Posted by silva View Post
    "They" were trying to rename the gun making quarter last year !
    Yes I recall. I believe common sense prevailed though. I think it's shocking that so much industrial heritage is suppressed on the basis it is gun related. Times were so much different a little over a century ago.

John

I've just had an update on the headstone from a friend, Dave. He says the condition is now "far worse" even than it is in the second pic linked to above, and that "rain and freezing in the winters
    are playing havoc, and the sandstone is piling up in little shards at the base of it".

For anyone wishing to visit, Dave says the grave is "is in the right corner of Warstones Cemetery as you stand looking at it in Vyse Street".

He adds: "Anyone wanting to go direct to GLJ's resting place should look on Google Earth where Pitsford Street meets Vyse Steet at an oblique angle. His is the second stone in, under the big (oak?) tree, right in the corner. Thousands of people walk by and don't even know he's at eternal rest just 10-12 feet from both pavements!"
    Last edited by Garvin; 20-06-2015 at 07:59 PM.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

I will visit and pay my respects at the next opportunity. Many thanks to everyone who has contibuted to this interesting thread.

I visited the grave of Lincoln Jeffries today. I think all shooters should support his family in aiming to get the headstone restored as a tribute to a great inventor.

Quote Originally Posted by Powderfinger View Post
    I visited the grave of Lincoln Jeffries today. I think all shooters should support his family in aiming to get the headstone restored as a tribute to a great inventor.
    How can I donate ? I think a lot of enthusiasts would want to give something to renovate the headstone and also aim for a Blue plaque. What about a just giving page ?

Quote Originally Posted by Lakey View Post
    How can I donate ? I think a lot of enthusiasts would want to give something to renovate the headstone and also aim for a Blue plaque. What about a just giving page ?
    Andy, the family know the offer is on the table to help with the cost of a new stone if they want it. Apparently Alan and his brother plan to replace the stone if they can get permission from the cemetery (it's hard to imagine it would be refused), so the ball is in their court.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    Andy, the family know the offer is on the table to help with the cost of a new stone if they want it. Apparently Alan and his brother plan to replace the stone if they can get permission from the cemetery (it's hard to imagine it would be refused), so the ball is in their court.
    Thanks Danny, I guessed that was probably the case. I too would opt for a copy of the original gravestone, but perhaps in a harder wearing stone such as black granite. How do we go about nominating GLJ for a blue plaque ??

Perhaps a marble greenhouse with a shattered pane and a little lad, clutching an airgun, being chased up the road by somebody with a slipper.....
    "helplessly they stare at his tracks......."

I've just had an update from Alan Jeffries, George Lincoln Jeffries' great grandson about the great man's grave headstone at Warstones Lane Cemetery.

He says: "I have had a meeting with the stonemason this morning and he is submitting an application to replace the stone. The new one will have the same inscription as before and hopefully, if we can have permission and it looks ok, the Shooting Man below the inscription.

(If your forum members have any other suggestions let me know asap.) This is all subject to what the powers that be allow, but if all goes well we should have something ready for the end of September, which would be 85 years since his death."
    Vintage Airguns Gallery

Thanks for that Danny.
    Hope it gets sorted.
    No doubt the family will let us know if a few quid is needed.

Thanks Danny. This is a great tribute to a great man. I'd be happy to submit a mention to the mags if the family are agreeable.

Kind regards,

John
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22
    Prefer boxed or cased but will consider loose examples too.

Wonderful news! It is only right that this man is remembered, and a new gravestone is a fabulous start. Then onto the blue plaque maybe ?

Lakey