Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Valuation Wanted Please , on Book , Air Rifle Hunting Signed By Author John Darling

value

I agree its low value and so does everyone else on here apart from the vendor who quotes:
    " though going by offers received i can safely assume its of far greater value than double the price of a standard market flooded Air Rifle Hunting book"
    Im not suggesting the seller has done anything wrong but you know what some will do to make a few pounds, without any evidence anyone could have signed it.
    Even if JD has signed it its never going to be a £100 book.
    eric

Quote Originally Posted by shabee View Post
    I agree its low value and so does everyone else on here apart from the vendor who quotes:
    " though going by offers received i can safely assume its of far greater value than double the price of a standard market flooded Air Rifle Hunting book"
    Im not suggesting the seller has done anything wrong but you know what some will do to make a few pounds, without any evidence anyone could have signed it.
    Even if JD has signed it its never going to be a £100 book.
    eric
    Hi Eric and hi everyone else who has added to the post and thank you for doing so , sorry for late reply but somehow i have had no notifications of any messages on my post?
    in regards to my above quote i received 2 seperate emails offering first £40 then £50 and im sure a £16 book (as quoted by another member even though i know you can get them even cheaper though not sure about first edition? but im sure it doesnt just double in value with the authors signature and message? and im trying hard to find not only a similar book that has sold but even someone who actually owns a signed first edition? obviously something is worth as much as someone is willing to pay but im just after an idea and the suggested examples of value all said and done are not based on a similar sold item?

fair offer

Quote Originally Posted by Danny_Town View Post
    Hi Eric and hi everyone else who has added to the post and thank you for doing so , sorry for late reply but somehow i have had no notifications of any messages on my post?
    in regards to my above quote i received 2 seperate emails offering first £40 then £50 and im sure a £16 book (as quoted by another member even though i know you can get them even cheaper though not sure about first edition? but im sure it doesnt just double in value with the authors signature and message? and im trying hard to find not only a similar book that has sold but even someone who actually owns a signed first edition? obviously something is worth as much as someone is willing to pay but im just after an idea and the suggested examples of value all said and done are not based on a similar sold item?
    Danny if someone has offered £50, i think that is more than fair, personally.
    I was reading Johns writings in the 80s but if you ask anyone outside airgunning or possibly most who werent around in the 80s who he was they are unlikely to know of him other than seeing his books for sale.
    Rarely does his name crop up even on here, and ive never seen a signed copy before, as it seem no one else has resulting in the lack of valuations.
    If your not happy with the £50, put it on e bay for a figure that you are happy with (£75 - £100) and put it open to best offer, there does seem to be one or two on there paying silly prices just now for air gun memorabilia, so you never know.
    Best of luck either way
    eric

£50! I'd take it if I were you...
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

I wouldnt sell it for silly money and not even sure if im going to sell at all, if the offer was good and someone like a collector really wanted it then yeh maybe , its only gonna go up in value maybe slowly and little but its surely not going to devalue , unless someone has a pallet full of signed books in the back of their garage somewhere

I've got a signed first edition hardcover copy
    Edd.
    The only good rat is a dead rat and the best poison to use is lead.... .25 Flavour
    No I don't want the bucket closer

Quote Originally Posted by QUIGLEY View Post
    I've got a signed first edition hardcover copy
    Edd.
    oh nice see thats what i also wanted to know whos got the same

oh nice see thats what i also wanted to know whos got the same
    I imagine he did a few.
    Mine is ex library with some stamps in the front cover but what the heck..... all part of the character.
    Edd.
    The only good rat is a dead rat and the best poison to use is lead.... .25 Flavour
    No I don't want the bucket closer

I imagine he did a few.
    Mine is ex library with some stamps in the front cover but what the heck..... all part of the character.
    Edd.
    Haha what a coincidence i came across this while researching ,, this wasnt you i take it

/forums/archive/index.php/t-125641.html

oops sorry admin im not allowed to post links it seems

I imagine he did a few.
    Edd.
    if/when you get chance Edd it be nice to see some pics and pics of signature and message etc

When you get people paying stupid amounts for an old mass produced BSA oil can,i think its a fair chance its worth far more than people think.
    Best place is flea bay,where all the nutters with too much money go,to pay silly prices for such things.
    You may even find one or two on here having a bid.
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/7192...21379/?fref=ts Rapid 7,HW100kt .177,Theoben Fenman, BSA Goldstar,Daystate HW30S shrouded and tuned, HW99S (Paul Short tuned)

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Brown View Post
    When you get people paying stupid amounts for an old mass produced BSA oil can,i think its a fair chance its worth far more than people think.
    Best place is flea bay,where all the nutters with too much money go,to pay silly prices for such things.
    You are probably right there - I am currently winning a second hand item for which I have bid a maximum of £11 including postage. I was just showing it to my wife and noticed an identical new one for £9 posted on buy it now!
    Happy Shooting!! Paul.
    "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking that we used when we created them" - Albert Einstein.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Brown View Post
    On the Bay it is lets see the interest from a wider audience

Looking on the Bay I can see yours for a "Buy it Now" price of £150. Also listed are unsigned copies ranging from £12 - £23.

Whilst I think a premium for the signature of £127 is, shall we say, ambitious, I wish you luck.

Please let us know how it goes.

I wouldnt sell it for silly money and not even sure if im going to sell at all, if the offer was good and someone like a collector really wanted it then yeh maybe , its only gonna go up in value maybe slowly and little but its surely not going to devalue , unless someone has a pallet full of signed books in the back of their garage somewhere
    FFS Do you want to sell it or don't you? Or are you afraid someone might make a shilling out of you? If so consider this - probably everything you own has had at least 3 lots of profit in its history.

If there wasn't a second edition then they're all first editions.

A few years ago I got involved with the disposal of a Mercedes van that had belonged to Frank White, blues artiste and front man of the Frank White Band. The thought that crossed my mind was that if Frank was to be assassinated then his van might well assume the status of John Lennon's Rolls Royce. Could I find a hit man for less than the estimated increase in value? Let's just say that as far as I know he's still booking bands, as he'd become an impresario in later life ( perhaps just as well - it wAs the sort of band where if they played Happy Birthday to someone in the audience, there'd be a 20 minute guitar solo in the middle! )

ATB, Mick
    When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns .