Thread: Webley MK 3 first series trigger unit

Webley MK 3 first series trigger unit

This has been Webley MK 3 week, had 4 to work on, which I love doing because they are usually no problem. 3 were .22 and one was the very early type in .177 with the 16 groove stock (not 17 as mentioned in Dennis Hillers book). As mentioned in his book the complicated trigger is fragile and this one was broken. Fortunately one of the others I could cannibalise because it was so rough and parts missing, so I transferred the
    more modern trigger unit onto the oldie rifle. Just had to turn up a new sear screw type pivot pin as it was missing. Also had to use the newer piston unit as they have a different latching system. Rifle turned out very well and shoots great, so was wondering what the value of it would be supplied with the old broken lose original parts as well ?

Baz

BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Quote Originally Posted by Benelli B76 View Post
    This has been Webley MK 3 week, had 4 to work on, which I love doing because they are usually no problem. 3 were .22 and one was the very early type in .177 with the 16 groove stock (not 17 as mentioned in Dennis Hillers book). As mentioned in his book the complicated trigger is fragile and this one was broken. Fortunately one of the others I could cannibalise because it was so rough and parts missing, so I transferred the
    more modern trigger unit onto the oldie rifle. Just had to turn up a new sear screw type pivot pin as it was missing. Also had to use the newer piston unit as they have a different latching system. Rifle turned out very well and shoots great, so was wondering what the value of it would be supplied with the old broken lose original parts as well ?

Baz

Strange, this one Baz. The first Mk3 trigger was a direct copy of the revolutionary Diana 'double pull' trigger but somehow when copying it over, Webley must have introduced a flaw that didn't exist in Diana's version. I have owned quite a few examples of the German prewar version myself and have not once come across fragility issues, or heard of them from other owners.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

After looking at the drawings and stripping the trigger unit I think that the fault is actually wear on the piston rod and sear which can be rectified. It has not broken off in the normal weak spot highlighted in Dennis Hillers article. Do you think it would be more valuable having the the original trigger unit fitted ?

Baz

Cool

Hi Baz

I think the top one of these is the early two stage trigger though i've never stripped it, Serial number is 3970.

Sorry, I've no idea what yours would be worth but it looks in good nick from the first pic!!

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Quote Originally Posted by johnbaz View Post
    Hi Baz

I think the top one of these is the early two stage trigger though i've never stripped it, Serial number is 3970.

Sorry, I've no idea what yours would be worth but it looks in good nick from the first pic!!

John
    John, looks like the top two could have the early trigger as they both have the original design stock. The guy who owns the one I restored is looking at around £200 for it. I must say that I enjoy working on Webley MK3'S as they are a simple design and you don't get major problems with them.

Baz

Mk3

Quote Originally Posted by Benelli B76 View Post
    After looking at the drawings and stripping the trigger unit I think that the fault is actually wear on the piston rod and sear which can be rectified. It has not broken off in the normal weak spot highlighted in Dennis Hillers article. Do you think it would be more valuable having the the original trigger unit fitted ?

Baz
    Yes I think it would command a premium with the original trigger and be nicer to shoot as well. I suspect Webley didn't use a high tensile enough steel as Diana (it was just after the war) hence the weakness?

I have a series 1 mk3 complete and in working order, s/n 2256, and my personal valuation of this is £180-200 so I guess yours would be of similar value if you included the original parts.
    Aubrey