Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Haenel 26 (I think)

There is a full article of the Haenels here along with detailed photos including a full disassembly. The designer is discussed in detail too. Quite interesting.

https://www.facebook.com/jimmiedeesa...87073951390480

ccdjg is offline Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe
    Quote Originally Posted by Benelli B76 View Post
    Seems the 26 and 28 relate to the year of their introduction as they were sold along side each other for a period of time.

Baz
    It seems to be a common misconception that the model numbers of the Haenel 26 and Haenel 28 indicate their year of introduction. This is true for the 28, which did come onto the market in 1928 (and also true for its almost mythical precursor the Haenel 27, which appeared briefly in 1927), but is not the case with the Haenel 26. Because of the relatively high price of the 28, Haenel decided to introduce a cheaper product in 1930, which was made from lower cost materials and required fewer machining steps. I suppose it could have been named the Haenel 30, but this would have made it sound like an upgraded version of the 28, whch it most certainly was not. So Haenel must have decided to take a step backwards and give it a lower number. As the number 27 had already been used, it naturally became the model 26.

We can date these various changes with some certainty, as many dated German catalogues from that period have survived.

I'm
    Quote Originally Posted by Grarea View Post
    Great, thanks.
    I am sort of disappointed, but also not really.
    These things generally have a value and I didn't know anything about the gun as I found the information difficult to find.
    I am generally quite interested as to what and why affects the value of something.
    (As well as just a general interest in all things.)
    I see what you mean when you talk about the fragility vs the 28, that would make some sense.

Although it doesn't feel very fragile, I certainly wouldn't want it whacked against my head.
    They have a good solid feel don't they and are nice weight.

When I came on here, I just thought i would just sell it as I don't use it. Let it go to a good home.
    But, now I am tempted to keep it and repair it.

(I told myself I really shouldn't, I don't need another project)
    BUT it is coming up to winter......

Do 'we' think that leather (as I now know what it is made from) seal is what is causing the lack of power?
    I assume there is another seal internally.
    It appears like it would be fairly simple to pull apart, any ideas if there are any surprises?
    (should I have a catcher mitt

Oh dear, oh dear, we can all see where this is going can't we?

Does anyone know what sort of power this achieved when new?
    We are used to our BSA (Ummmmm, I think it is a meteor, (I would have to check) but it was close to the max limit)
    I am guessing way less than that. Especially as it is only meant for shorter range right?

Ooops, sorry, just realised how long this post is.
    Hello,

Neither the Haenel 26 or 28 are particularly powerful pistols and although I haven't put my recently serviced 28 through a chronograph, I suspect it's only producing something between 2 & 3 ft/lbs.

As with all spring powered air guns, the three things that significantly affect power output are mainspring, breech washer and piston washer. Somebody may know of a mainspring from another pistol that might provide a substitute for the present one if it appears weak. I suspect you will need to produce or modify replacement washers yourself as these will be sized specifically to the pistol.

You will also need to be very careful when disassembling or working on the pistol as the alloy frames can become very brittle with age with a consequent risk of shattering during handling.

Regards

Brian
    Last edited by Abasmajor; 14-09-2016 at 12:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ccdjg View Post
    It seems to be a common misconception that the model numbers of the Haenel 26 and Haenel 28 indicate their year of introduction. This is true for the 28, which did come onto the market in 1928 (and also true for its almost mythical precursor the Haenel 27, which appeared briefly in 1927), but is not the case with the Haenel 26. Because of the relatively high price of the 28, Haenel decided to introduce a cheaper product in 1930, which was made from lower cost materials and required fewer machining steps. I suppose it could have been named the Haenel 30, but this would have made it sound like an upgraded version of the 28, whch it most certainly was not. So Haenel must have decided to take a step backwards and give it a lower number. As the number 27 had already been used, it naturally became the model 26.

We can date these various changes with some certainty, as many dated German catalogues from that period have survived.
    If this is true I personally think the 26 was an improvement on the 28. The ones I have worked on have shown me that the quality of material used did nothing for the performance. The 28 is a huge chunk of metal that promises much and gives little. I much prefer the 26 for nice handling and shooting and fits the bill of a usable little spring air pistol.

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

ccdjg is offline Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe
    Quote Originally Posted by Benelli B76 View Post
    If this is true I personally think the 26 was an improvement on the 28. The ones I have worked on have shown me that the quality of material used did nothing for the performance. The 28 is a huge chunk of metal that promises much and gives little. I much prefer the 26 for nice handling and shooting and fits the bill of a usable little spring air pistol.

Baz
    I agree that in some ways the first version of the Haenel 26 was an improvement on the 28, as it is lighter and easier to cock without sacrificing much in the way of power and accuracy.

To give some idea of the difference in the pricing of these pistols, the 1938-39 German Akah catalogue advertised the Haenel 28 for 22 Marks and the 26 for 16 Marks.

Interestingly the “upgraded” version of the 26 which appeared in 1939 was a bit of a disaster in comparison to the old version. Although it now had a blued rather than painted cylinder and nice Bakelite grips, the alloy used for the grip frame appears to been changed for one of inferior quality (wartime economics?) which fractured easily. I have owned two of these later pistols and have also seen another two, and all had cracks in the frame ranging from minor to fatal. In fact I would advise anyone owning an apparently perfect example of one of these later models not to fire it at risk of ruining a rare and collectable gun. In contrast I have never come across one of the older Haenel 26’s with this problem.