Quote Originally Posted by webb22 View Post
wonderful air rifles these - very underrated IMO. i've had JB work his magic on a couple of mine and now they are spiffing! i do have a couple of standard (factory) ones as well and they are still good straight off the production line. i believe they need a rig of sorts to hold all the salient bits together when they are reassembled - you'll find this out pretty sharpish once you've had one to pieces! JB talks about them with great fondness and he really rates them as one of the first rifles he did for BSA, which was basically limited to the BSA production (springers) line at the time - which is why meteor and supersport (or derivatives there of) parts (most of them apart from the springer power plant bits) are fairly interchangeable. I put a 25 'export' barrel on one a while ago and its ace (loves the old skool marksman, rhino, etc). And i sourced an 'export' choked 177 barrel that is ridiculously accurate. This is also helped by how consistent the output is, if you don't overfill them. i have both high fill and the original (low) fill version. i like the low fill best, as you can use buddy bottle to fill it in the field (200cc are nice and portable) and the onboard gauge is brill, once you get familiar with how many shoots equate to each of the lines marked on the valve - clever for its time i think never filled mine past 200bar, as the power curve is more pronounced above this IMO. the overfill valve can get sticky some times, so give it a tap as you fill it to check its not sticking. as said above, use it regularly or dry fire it monthly to prolong the seal life. firebirds are also tasty, if you can find one! but you'll never get a spitfire or firebird in 20 unfortunately - something BSA has never really picked up on, which is a shame IIRC there was a chap on here a while back that said he successfully had one to bits and resembled it! can't remember who though...?
Thanks for taking the time to write the above post, One of these caught my eye a while back but you don't see many about, Just seems so simple to use, As said above I been offered a couple of springers and one of these spitfires could be included so at moment just thinking about doing the swap. Thanks for the above ok bud.