Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: AIR SHOT GUNS - Low power , How many , Legal , Any use ?

Quote Originally Posted by SuffolkRifle View Post
    Edit quick look & found these http://www.sportsmansguide.com/produ...-ammo?a=585839 though I can't find anything for the UK, yet.
    These are modified 22LR cartridges for use in bolt action rifles - the reviews in the FAC section did not give them much credence....and these are at FAC power levels, just about to puncture paper at 10 feet!

Adrian
    My wife DOES know how much my rifle cost - she bought it for me! Blaser R8 Success Mono LH with .22lr. .204 Ruger, 6.5 x 55 and .308

At one time you could get little paper cases with shot in, they were fired out of any .22 springer.
    In my falcon fn 19 I have used 4-5 .177 gamo round to get a spread of about 12 inch at 20m
    "Men occasionally stumble on the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened" Winston Churchill
    http://planetairgun.com/index.php

Quote Originally Posted by clarky View Post
    im pretty sure you will find that was the collective power of the entire mass of shot run past the usual velocity equation....coming out big numbers because of the entire weight in grains of the collective.
    In reality quite anemic, each shot running around 4.3 ftlbs or so at 15 yards..
    Still a useful tool though.
    The shot pattern matched that of a 410 out to be about 15 yds or so and plenty capable of dusting down a Starling if you could raise your bead on him with the right lead..as per usual with a 410
    trap masters could fire a .380 calibre lead ball instead of shot shells ,this is what gave 20+fpe

They did sell chalk sticks,embedded with dust ️shot, idea was good but performance rubbish.
    snarepeg.

Wiped joint

[QUOTE=Logunner;7183727]Remember the fibre stuff... my grandad had some. Used to lick my fingers and dab them into the fibre to make paste balls for my elastic band gun
    :eek
    Moved.
    Last edited by naffer; 01-02-2017 at 08:33 AM.

Wiped

[QUOTE=Rich;7183716]When I was a "young person" and didn't know any better, I experimented with my BSA Meteor to see if it could be used as a mini shotgun. I cut up lead pellets into fragments and held them all together with asbestos.

In those days, in the 1950s and 60s we had no idea that asbestos was bad for you, and Rawlplug used to market a kind of asbestos fibre that you could buy in a tin, like a 2oz tobacco tin. It was useful stuff for fixing screws into a wall, if the hole was too ragged for a conventional Rawlpug, and they were fibre at the time, not plastic.

You would mix a pinch of the fibre together with a few drops of water, it would consolidate into a mush that you would press into the hole, and then allow it time to dry before inserting the screw.

My best mate's dad was a keen DIY man although we didn't call it DIY as such; Ernie had loads of fascinating tools and kit like blowlamps and the apparatus to make wiped lead joints, a skill to behold in wonderment.

Sorry I digress. This fibre stuff was ideal as a carrier medium for my shot, and Ern was kind enough to let me have some from his tin.

It didn't have much strength of course, and acted just like wadding, falling away from the shot fragments.

Did it work? Well, the Meteor was good for about 9 ft.lb if you were lucky. I think I managed to get my shot to make tiny holes in a sheet of paper at about 4 or 5 yards range, so this was hardly going to qualify as a weapon of mass destruction.

Edit: maybe it got closer than Blair did.[/QUOTE
    Wiped joint ,who now could wipe a lead joint ,I could then not now.

Quote Originally Posted by adiepie View Post
    These are modified 22LR cartridges for use in bolt action rifles - the reviews in the FAC section did not give them much credence....and these are at FAC power levels, just about to puncture paper at 10 feet!

Adrian
    Says in the description "This ammunition is to be used with the Viper Express or Shadow Express airgun - See more at: http://www.sportsmansguide.com/produ....vv9SuEqj.dpuf "

Quote Originally Posted by SuffolkRifle View Post
    Says in the description "This ammunition is to be used with the Viper Express or Shadow Express airgun - See more at: http://www.sportsmansguide.com/produ....vv9SuEqj.dpuf "
    Correct! I stand corrected.......
    .however if you read the reviews, most of the purchasers are wrong as well!!

It only seems to work in the Gamo air shotgun!

Ah well...

Adrian
    My wife DOES know how much my rifle cost - she bought it for me! Blaser R8 Success Mono LH with .22lr. .204 Ruger, 6.5 x 55 and .308

Quote Originally Posted by adiepie View Post
    Correct! I stand corrected.......
    .however if you read the reviews, most of the purchasers are wrong as well!!

It only seems to work in the Gamo air shotgun!

Ah well...

Adrian
    Yes - pity that our laws have changed so much that we can't get the old No.3 shotguns now, used to be 'the' garden gun, oh well

Air shotguns

In our rented Victorian flat 60 years ago we had trouble with mice, my way of getting rid of them with my old Airsporter was to open the tap, put in a small plug of felt, pour in some small shot from a shotgun cartridge, then another plug of felt, hey presto! an air shotgun, which got rid of quite a few mice with not too much damage to the skirting boards, I also used the same method with a break barrel rifle at the time, quite effective at short range.
    Cheers Lawrie

Used to use No9 shot, wrapped in half a cigarette paper through an old Meteor, for disposing of large spiders and other large bugs that managed to invade the house in the '80s....
    Musketeer, Tin-Horseman and Axeman extraordinaire

clunge is offline Buys suspicious amounts of hand sanitiser
    Spiders - OK.

But would it be able to stop a charging woodlouse?