Thread: Talk to me about the Diana 54 Airking...

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    Just been putting a few rounds through the Airking over a short range at home.
    One or two points imerging ;

Its not easy to cock but that's partly to do with me being a southpaw. (the gun's rt/hd)
    The sidelever's 16" in length and feels quite long so there's a long cocking stroke, the majority of which engages the spring, trigger/safety and the remainder setting the action forward on the internal sledge. All this takes "a fair bit of Umph" ! However, with the breech being a conical design similar to the Fwb 300S, I found loading the .177 pellet easier than say my TX's or my HW 77.
    Like the 300S, this can be simplified when in the standing position, then the rifle can be tilted forward to allow the action to slide forward before cocking the sidelever ! Not so easily performed when in the sitting position though.
    Once completed, the cocking lever safety is released and the lever is returned to the side of the cylinder with a nice positive lock up !
    The rifle can then be aligned on the target, safety slipped and fired !
    The resulting effect is very good and almost totally recoil free although I did feel a minute, tiny nudge, almost minimal. This may improve in time when a lot more lead has been passed through the bore and the sledge gets run in.
    Overall, I really liked it !

Obviously a right handed shooter is going to find shooting this large, heavy air rifle easier. I'm of an average build but I reckon someone having lets say, "a larger physical frame" would find this operation a fair bit sweeter !
    The total weight of mine complete with an MTC 3-12x44 plus mounts is 11 lb 4oz. The scope could be swapped for something lighter in an effort to reduce the overall weight but this would not really make the cocking of the rifle any easier other than make the handling a little more friendly ?

I'll be taking the air rifle along to the local range this week to zero it, choose its preferred pellet and hopefully have a great time !
    Last edited by Blackrider; 14-02-2017 at 01:00 PM.
    “An airgun or two”………