Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
All "S" models had Walnut stocks but Challengers came with the Deluxe Beech stocks (but not all of them had highly figured Beech stocks) which were better quality with proper pistol grip checkering (not the pressed in type on the standard models) and a higher more pronounced cheekpiece (like the ones fitted to Superstar/Goldstars), the Walnut on "S" models can either be bland as hell or really nicely figured, I have read that the later Airsporter "S" before the RB2's came in, had the Challenger style Beech stocks fitted (not sure if this is true so don't hold me to it) not sure if this was a BSA cost cutting exercise, I've never seen a Challenger with a Walnut stock in the same style as the Deluxe Beech but who knows what's rolled out the BSA factory in the past, in the U.S. they even did an Airsporter RB2 crown grade which had a laminate stock but was never offered over here in the U.K.

Pete
The last Airsporter S's had a Challenger style beech stock and a maxigrip rail. I still have mine bought new from JSR in the 80's. The This, the Challengers and Superstars had what I think was described as "cross cut" beech stocks which displayed more grain and were finished nicer than the plain stocked versions. The older S models were walnut of varying quality, my mk2 airsporter S is quite nice though.