Quote Originally Posted by clarky View Post
Dont make the mistake of thinking Delrin is merely a trade name for acetal.....it isnt.
The acetal produced by Du Pont and called Delrin is much better than regular acetal....it is also more expensive.
If you can get Delrin get it.
I have never quite understood why all tuners use white, when Black has exactly the same characteristics and looks much better down inside cocking slots.
Jury is out for me at the moment in regard of top hats and guide rods though...
I have discovered some quite eye opening issues .....but its ideal for these piston bearings if you can manage to glue them in correctly.
I use delrin as a catch all term for the different grades as in reality it makes little difference in the rifle.

When it comes to top hats I use alloy, steel, brass or delrin purely as a function of weight, it really doesn't matter what its made of as long as its dimensions are precise.

When it comes to spring guides I make mine mostly from alloy or steel now as bending tests convinced me delrin is not stiff enough, especially in longer strokes or if your inletting the guide in the end block, if you size a steel or alloy guide to a precise sliding fit with a polished surface they are as smooth and quiet as a delrin one but stiffer and more vibration resistant.

Downside is it takes a lot longer to make.