Thread: Webley Premier now repaired after seizing up from neatsfoot oil

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by abellringer View Post
    Neatsfoot oil is usually only applied to leather products, ie piston washers as on say a W & S MKIII / Falcon / Jaguar or any gun with a leather piston washer. I have never come across anyone recommending neatsfoot oil on synthetic washers. Can I ask the question, why did you use neatsfoot on a known synthetic seal ? I have never known this use before as I'm sure lots of seasoned 'repairers' have never known it either. It is however an interesting reaction and I'm sure a warning to others; just glad you managed to recover the situation and restore the pistol, well done for that.
    abellringer
    Thanks abellringer. To answer your question, I did not know that the Premier had a synthetic washer, naturally presuming it was leather since it was manufactured in 1975. Otherwise, I would have been more cautious. As Gingernut observed, it was an old pistol and I had no idea synthetic washers were used in those days.

Out of curiosity, what does one use for a synthetic washer? Clearly, stripping the gun and introducing grease is one option but that is time-consuming. Is there an alternative?

As you say, it is a warning to others.

Rgds
    A
    Last edited by andrewM; 10-03-2017 at 10:13 PM.