Quote Originally Posted by Geoff555 View Post
Hello chaps this is just a precautionary question, please, I have just got a HW57 and I was wondering if I should keep a check on it for galling. Does it. Anything else I should know?
Thank you.
A T B .
Geoff.
YES it does. I picked up a secondhand 57 that has galled the cylinder quite badly. This 57 I have is a few years old and has a roller on the cocking arm. Its taken a fair bit of effort to polish the damage out and make sure its operating well but now its running very nice. If its new I'd consider very regular checks to make sure you keep on top of it. The spring fitted in my 57 was far too long and bent. It now has a chopped 77 spring and TBT delrin guides along with a new piston seal (lightly sized) as the old one had been burning lube and the seal had gone brittle.
Mine is now shooting a gnats under 11 with express and shooting 8mm groups at 25 yards so I can confirm they are accurate too despite the odd pop up breech.
I'd certainly get the factory lube out ASAP .
The cycle on mine is quick and has a crack at the muzzle but far from how it was when i picked it up. Cocking is silent and smooth.
Make sure the breech operates smoothly and has some moly on the post.